PVC Solvent advice

Users who are viewing this thread

gojoe3

Reaction score
I need some advice on PVC solvent.

Which Oatey solvent would cure the fastest and be suitable for pressurized PVC pipe?

I have to replace my well pressure tank in the next few days with my plumber and want to be prepared for his assistance.
I do all the basic plumbing in my house because I like to and I hire my plumber to do the complex and/or difficult stuff.
He is OK with this and knows I do good quality work.

I have a 1" PVC line coming in from my well, with a Clack air injector installed prior to the bladder type pressure tank.

Years ago, I had given the Clack injector and two pvc unions to my water treatment contractor and asked him to install it, so that I could remove and replace or maintain the injector. Unfortunately, he only installed one union after the injector.

Now, I'd like to remove the injector and add another union prior to it and have everything be cured enough to be able to turn my system back on, ie. pressurize it.

My plumber came to install my new P tank last week but the new tank was delivered damaged. While he was at my house he stated that he was concerned about the well line new PVC fittings that I wanted to add. He said he was concerned about the amount of time the PVC solvent needed to cure and that it would be best if I could leave the water off for at least 24 hours so that it could cure properly.

We left it at that and I figured I would get as much work done to prepare for the install of the new P tank, so that he could just make it up and install it quickly.

I went out to buy the fittings and cement and am confused as to the best Oatey product to use. There was a choice for heavy or medium or another that I don't recall. I read the cans and the medium said it cured in a couple of hours? I think the regular said 24 hours? Is there a difference in its strength?

I appreciate any advice.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
You can google and read the manufacturers instructions as well as any of us.

Jerome2877

In the Trades
Reaction score
wet dry.jpg

This cures in 30 mins.

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
I tried the "Cement Selector" app at the Oatey site, but could not get it to work. So, and like I learned from a painter many years ago: "Read the can!" Personally, I have often used the All-Purpose Cement some folks decry, and I have never had a problem after leaving things sit for about an hour before turning the water back on. Just be sure to de-burr the ends of pipe nicely, then do a good job with a Cleaner (on all parts) and let the Cleaner evaporate away before applying the Cement.

gojoe3

Reaction score
View attachment 20104

This cures in 30 mins.

Thanks Jerome2877,

Good to know there's a quick curing PVC solvent cement when I need it. I'll see if my local supply house carries it.

BTW, looks like Oatey makes a fast setting one also (Blue Lava) for PVC and (Orange Lava) for CPVC.

Last edited by a moderator:

gojoe3

Reaction score
I tried the "Cement Selector" app at the Oatey site, but could not get it to work. So, and like I learned from a painter many years ago: "Read the can!" Personally, I have often used the All-Purpose Cement some folks decry, and I have never had a problem after leaving things sit for about an hour before turning the water back on. Just be sure to de-burr the ends of pipe nicely, then do a good job with a Cleaner (on all parts) and let the Cleaner evaporate away before applying the Cement.

Thanks leejosepho,

Appreciate the response.
Yes, I always do "read the can" but thanks for the suggestion and I do de-burr and use the cleaner properly, but you never know so it's good advice to give.

I was just curious because I have always used the Oatey Regular for PVC but my can was old, so I grabbed a can of the All Purpose because that's all they had at the local HDepot. Curing time is the same for both (and most Oatey products) but the All Purpose states "check local building codes to verify that use of All Purpose is allowed".

The other reason I was concerned is because my plumber stated that he wanted me to wait 24 hours for it to set before pressurizing. I didn't understand.
I guess he must use a different product. I've been trying to ask him but he's been working in an area with bad cell service.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks