Breaker tripping

Users who are viewing this thread

Ben47

Reaction score
While watering my plants the breaker to the pump will trip at various times. It has happened four time over a period of 3 days. I have a Goulds Bruiser submersible pump, Model 7SB07422C and a 50 gallon tank. The pressure switch is set to come on at 40# and go off at 65#. It cycles at about 33 sec- 15 sec on, 18 sec off (which seems fast to me) with the hose bib putting out about 3/4 volume. What things could cause the breaker to trip?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Running for 15 seconds and off for 18 seconds is what is causing the breaker to trip. That is very fast and probably means you tank isn’t holding the 12-14 gallons it should. The bladder in the tank is probably bad, and that is also caused by cycling the pump on and off. Pumps like to run 24/7. Cycling on and off destroys everything in a pump system.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
The windings in the motor are overheating and eventually the motor will quit. Like valveman said, it sounds like the bladder has gone bad in the tank. Time for a new tank....

Ben47

Reaction score
Thanks. Both the pump and tank are only 6 months old and have been used rarely as the house is still being built. Very strange.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The bladder in the tank is probably bad, and that is also caused by cycling the pump on and off.

Even with a fairly new tank the bladder gets lot of abuse from the pump cycling on and off. And 2 wires motors are the worst for tripping a breaker when they cycle on and off too much.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
If you have a temporary electrical service for your house being built, you may just have excess voltage drop.

A volt meter and amp probe will show you the problem. The breaker could be to small for the motor if the voltage is correct at the pump motor.

Or the wire gauge is to small for its length.

What size breaker and wire are you using ? What voltage are you using ?

Good Luck.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks