Sewer gas

Users who are viewing this thread

Wptski

Retired Machine Repairman
Reaction score
As I understand it, sewer gas may contain methane gas. I remember back when I was replacing my toilet flange I ran across this video:

Watch it and tell what you think about its procedure?

Last edited by a moderator:

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I don't use a torch to remove poured lead, because it is unnecessary, but how else would you sweat copper drain pipes?

There has been a couple of documented cases of natural gas leaking into the municipal sewer, which could be a much bigger concern. Luckily is is almost unheard of.

Wptski

Retired Machine Repairman
Reaction score
I don't use a torch to remove poured lead, because it is unnecessary, but how else would you sweat copper drain pipes?

There has been a couple of documented cases of natural gas leaking into the municipal sewer, which could be a much bigger concern. Luckily is is almost unheard of.
I drilled holes and cut the webs with a Fein Multimaster on mine. I don't get the need to melt the wax anyway.

If your sweating a copper drain, your open flame would be on the outside of the pipe at least.

Just had locally two workers at a water treatment plant killed while using a torch on top of a huge tank. Both were blown off the tank to a nearby building roof. Methane gas is suspected.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
One reason there's a vent on the roof is to allow any gasses to disperse before they build up. It also helps ensure things can drain well. In a residential environment, it would be a set of very unusual circumstances where you could even get anything to ignite any sewer gasses, then, it would act more like a burner rather than a bomb. Now, playing around an enclosed tank or something, that's a totally different story.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks