Is this an S Trap - How to Fix?

Users who are viewing this thread

ParaDiddle

Reaction score
So, I just installed a new floating vanity in our bathroom and it has limited space and pre-existing drain pipes. Would this be considered an S Trap and therefore illegal and not to code? We are listing out house for sale and I want to get it fixed before we sell it. This is a double vanity so I'll have to do this twice. This was the easiest way to hook into the existing drain because of the increased number of joints allows for many more axis of rotation and positioning.

As you can see, there's already a 45 coming out of the wall and I would have to go into the wall to cut it out before the 45. There's maybe 5/8" pvc between the 45 and the threaded coupling for the trap to connect to. If I carefully cut off the threaded adapter is the 5/8" enough PVC to glue on new fittings to make a P Trap lineup? Also, I'd like to NOT cut out the bottom of the cabinet and have the p trap extend below it for asthetic reasons. Is it against code if I use some 90 degree elbows to raise the drain pipe a lot higher and keep my P trap as high as possible (meaning that the tail piece coming out of my sink would be very short). If I tried to connect my trap to the current height of the existing drain pipe, I would have to cut into the base of my cabinet for sure.

Thanks for any expertise on this subject. The good thing is that I didn't glue my vanity top on yet or silicone the top edge, so worse comes to worse, I can take the vanity down and get into the wall.

Trap.jpg

Asktom

Reaction score
Yes, that is an "S" trap. If you put in a longer chrome tailpiece it looks like you could hook up to the line coming out of the wall as it is.

ParaDiddle

Reaction score
Yeah, on 1 sink it "may" line up with the existing drain but I would have to cut the bottom of the cabinet out so the curved part of the p trap would fit (and hang below the vanity). The existing drain line is only about an inch off the bottom of the cabinet. You can see how I had to cut out the bottom brace of the cabinet just to hang it on the wall.

Do you know if it's against code if I raise the drain using 90's to make it go up a bit and then towards the drain?

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
You have the wrong end of the p-trap attached to the tail piece. I think you have enough space to put it together correctly. The long side of the J should attach to the chrome tail piece. There is an extra J in there that you do not need. Then the long end of the L shaped pipe goes into the pipe at the wall. The short side of the L attaches to the short side of the J. The long side of the J is adjustable on the tail piece and the part that goes into the pipe at the wall is adjustable.

Last edited by a moderator:

ParaDiddle

Reaction score
Yes, that is an "S" trap. If you put in a longer chrome tailpiece it looks like you could hook up to the line coming out of the wall as it is.

I would have to cut into the cabinet, which is probably what I'm planning to do now.

The bathroom is only 8' deep with the toilet being the farthest and lowest point anyone would be able to get the proper angle to see below the cabinet and if someone see's a little pipe while they are popping a squat, then that's fine. I'm about 1.5 to 2" above the existing trap, so the pipe will only stick out about an inch after deducting for the thickness of the cabinet. I taped a pipe under there and I couldn't see it. I'm guessing children might see it, but that's no big deal.

ParaDiddle

Reaction score
You have the wrong end of the p-trap attached to the tail piece. I think you have enough space to put it together correctly. The long side of the J should attach to the chrome tail piece. There is an extra J in there that you do not need. Then the long end of the L shaped pipe goes into the pipe at the wall. The short side of the L attaches to the short side of the J. The long side of the J is adjustable on the tail piece and the part that goes into the pipe at the wall is adjustable.

Yeah, I know how a normal P trap goes, I just didn't have room in the cabinet without cutting a hole in the bottom. I think that's my best bet now because if I cut the drain pipe and can't get a new fitting on there without going into the wall, my wife will be very upset that she can't have her bathroom for another couple of days.

ParaDiddle

Reaction score
I think it's still growing.

John

I was thinking I might get a prize if I could use more pieces. I wouldn't have left it like that because I don't trust all those joints as my wife would undoubtedly knock them around. That's just how it is so she can use one of the sinks until I figure out my plan.

Thanks to everyone who has left a comment so far too.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would cut a round hole where the p-trap will sit. I would cut it the size of a pie pan so the rim of the pan would set on the bottom of the cabinet. This would prevent things from falling into the hole you cut and give it a neater look.

ParaDiddle

Reaction score
I would cut a round hole where the p-trap will sit. I would cut it the size of a pie pan so the rim of the pan would set on the bottom of the cabinet. This would prevent things from falling into the hole you cut and give it a neater look.

Thanks, that's actually a great idea, if it fits. It will be close. I can also spray paint it black to match the cabinet.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Since it is a double sink installation, even if you opened the wall you would probably have a "lot" of plumbing to do in order to raise the drains, because you could not just use elbows to raise the openings inside the wall. Your drain connection is the typical, "Just put enough fittings together and it will work".

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks