Replaced sink supply hoses, now pipes are louder

Users who are viewing this thread

Larbo

Reaction score
I have had a Kohler Memoirs faucet in the bathroom sink for a few years. I called Kohler due to a frozen/leaking stem valve and they sent me two new, updated complete valve assemblies. Great company. Anyway, after installing all the new parts I decide to change out the crummy loooking 16" stainless braid covered supply hoses. The pipe noise when running the sink went from barely noticable to loud. Put the old hoses back, now back to normal noise level. I have now been trying (and returning) any different brand hoses that I can find but they all seem to have the same higher noise "profile". The I.D.s are not all the same. The last set looked larger and identical to the old one. But, no luck. Every new one I have tried makes the pipes louder.

I am at a loss. There must be something that I am missing. The new valve assemblies could be more susceptible to pipe noise than the old ones were, but why not with only the old supply lines? I make sure that the aerator is clean after every hose changeout. Angles stops are fully opened. Is there some kind of trend with newer hoses that I don't know about? Besides going to a flare fitting style copper tube supply line, are there any other options? Thanks

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
There must be something that I am missing.

It could be the angle stops that I assume you have and probably shut off to make the change. Probably didn't open back up to the way they were and the washer inside is now causing turbulence. Replace them with the newer washerless 1/4 or 1/2 turn style.

Larbo

Reaction score
Okeedokee, thanks. I will give it a try.

My angles stops are all 1/2" compression. I know that there are pros and cons to this but are the shutoff valves the same in that I can reuse the nuts and ferrules?

Larbo

Reaction score
I changed the angle stops with the 1/4 turn ball valve type but there was no change in "pipe noise" (looks nice, though). And yes, the nuts are ferrules were re-usable.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks