Does this new DWV System appear to meet IPC Florida code?

Users who are viewing this thread

Stephanie Maps

Reaction score
After many hours of reading code and reading old posts on this forum I've managed to design this small DWV system for a new cabin.

Please review the following 5 images and let me know if anything appears to NOT be legal for Florida's IPC.

The PN# referenced in the jpgs come from Charlotte Pipe's PVC DWV Dimensional Catalog
Thanks in advance,
Steph

1. Overall Layout
Overall Layout.jpg

2. Shower & WC Closeup
Shower and WC.jpg

3. Lav & Utility Sink Closeup
Lav and Utility Sink.jpg

4. Kitchen Sink Closeup
Kitchen Sink.jpg

5. Vents Closeup
Vents.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
No, no and NO. And Florida is an IPC state. Most of your vents are flat.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stephanie Maps

Reaction score
lol omg that is funny.
YES ok yes Florida is IPC. Thaaaat's what i meant to say.:eek:

And good eye Tom Sawyer, you are correct I failed to slope the horizontal runs of the vent. I can fix that. Thank you.

Anything else here that does not met IPC florida?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
It's not just a matter of pitch. The vents must be vertical until they are at least 42" above the floor. Your drain routing will need to be changed to accommodate the vents.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
You also will need to lose the vent tee on the utility sink. You cannot use vent components for drainage. Is also appears that the sink is on the floor, with the trap below the floor, so I am guessing that the drawing is wrong.

I'm sure others will pipe in, as I am on my way out the door.

Last edited:

Hammerlane

Reaction score
The wye you have taking off for the stanpipe vent should be turned the other way..allows for "smoother" air flow drawn it from vents and also allows for proper draining if/when water gets into vents. But as others have said you have some flat vents also.

Attachments

• Lav%20and%20Utility%20Sink.jpg
    Lav%20and%20Utility%20Sink.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 1,876

Stephanie Maps

Reaction score
It's not just a matter of pitch. The vents must be vertical until...

Oooh is THAT what Tom Sawyer meant by "Most of your vents are flat." Not the he had eagle eyes and could tell that the horizontal vent pipes forming branch vents were not sloped but that leaving the Ptrap many of my vents do not go vertical nearly enough before going horizontal.

Thank you SO much for clarifying what he meant by that.. NOW i understand is not just and slight issue of pitch but of the entire layout.

A "flat vent' is a vent that does not meet the following-
905.4 IPC.JPG

Thanks cacher_chick, now i understand. :eek:

Stephanie Maps

Reaction score
You also will need to lose the vent tee on the utility sink. You cannot use vent components for drainage.

Ok, good eye that makes sense. I'll figure out the right series of fittings to use under a double sink. I used the same (wrong) configuration on both the kitchen and utility sink. - thanks again.

Is also appears that the sink is on the floor, with the trap below the floor...

Here is better perspective of the same layout. I hope it makes more sense.

Laundry View.jpg

Stephanie Maps

Reaction score
Thanks Hammerlane regarding the position of the wye on the vent of the lav sink. That is a great drawing you used to show turned the other way.. I get it! :)

However, in that instance i am trying to get to the other side of the wall in that direction.. in the direction it is currently orientated. And am going up at a 45deg to avoid creating a flat vent there.. soooo even though it might not provide the smoothest airflow at this point I am merely trying to determine what is LEGAL.

I think you are saying that although it might be legal under IPC to use wye in the manner i have it- better airflow is achieved turning the wye in the other direction.

The flat vents I am showing on the shower and water closet are my only real concern at this point. But they are big ones.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote: soooo even though it might not provide the smoothest airflow at this point I am merely trying to determine what is LEGAL.

It is NOT legal because it goes against the flow of the drain line, and has nothing to do with "smooth air flow".

Stephanie Maps

Reaction score
oh really?
I had no idea. I clearly did not understand his comment the first time then. Thanks for clarifying that for me - I thought he was saying it was legal but not ideal.
You guys are awesome!

Just so i understand what you are saying.

" SECTION P2607 WORKMANSHIP

P2607.1 General.
Valves, pipes and fittings shall be installed in correct relationship to the direction of the flow..."

And the CORRECT direction of flow for a wye fitting is ALWAYS in the direction shown here.

Wye Flow Direction.jpg

It does not matter if the wye is used for a drain or a vent, if it is horizontal, vertical or sideways. When i see a wye i should think strictly in terms of

EXIT ONLY.jpg

Is that correct?

Suceress

Reaction score
I know I don't have any helpful information, but I'm wondering what program you used to get the layout of the pipes. I'm also curious about where and how the stand pipe hooks in. I'm trying to plan out a bathroom/laundry room as well and am trying to figure out the correct order in which to connect things. So far the info in this thread has been enlightening.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks