Roofing nail for bathtub install, rust?

Users who are viewing this thread

Arsinek

Reaction score
Ive seen a lot of instructions saying to use roofing nails to nail the tub flange to the wall. But I thought I saw some talk somewhere on the web about roofing nails rusting. Is this true, will the roofing nails rust? If so what should I use instead?

DavidSeon

Reaction score
I used cement board screws as mentioned above; they are coated against corrosion and they nicely self-countersink (in acrylic flanges anyway). I gave up trying to hammer a nail straight years ago, so the screws are safer for the tub finish as well.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I gave up trying to hammer a nail straight years ago, so the screws are safer for the tub finish as well.

Decades ago I was a carpenter's helper hammering on a nail when the old Finnish carpenter commented "OOH, like lightning!" Thinking he was complimenting me, I replied "That fast eh?" "No" he said, "never hits the same place twice".

Go with the screws. Less likely to ever creep out and less likely that a wayward blow will ruin the tub.

Arsinek

Reaction score
Decades ago I was a carpenter's helper hammering on a nail when the old Finnish carpenter commented "OOH, like lightning!" Thinking he was complimenting me, I replied "That fast eh?" "No" he said, "never hits the same place twice".

Lol, thats pretty funny.

Well, I went with some electro galvanized I already had. Went to Lowes looking for aluminum ones and they didnt seem to have any, had the guy in hardware look too. Itll probably be fine, Im just obsessive compulsive a little.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A SS screw with a ss fender washer (or smaller, if appropriate) won't rust, either.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks