Advice on the right pump for my project

Users who are viewing this thread

flurver

Reaction score
Hello.

I am working on a photography project and looking for some advice.
I have a shower head like device that is hooked up out doors with my garden hose plugged into it which will be running for a couple hours at a time while I shoot photos.
This works fine but I would prefer not to waste water so my plan is to use a kiddie pool with a pump to recycle the water, when I am at home.

This same setup will also be used in the great outdoors (with a battery power pack) using a stream, lake, or ocean as the water source so for this reason I would like the pump to have a hose inlet and outlet as opposed to a submersible style pump.

I would appreciate any suggestions on a pump that can deliver roughly the same flow of water as a typical garden hose, is small/portable, that works well even though it may be a fair distance from the water source, and can operate for hours at a time with no problems.

I've experimented a bit with a harbor freight pump (http://www.harborfreight.com/12-volt-marine-utility-water-pump-94639.html) but it's rate a flow was a weaker than I would like (not as good as the garden hose) and some reviews state that it is not intended for extended use.

If I'm missing anything or if more information or a better description would help let me know.

Thank you for any help

Charlie

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
It is a lot easier to push water than to draw water up. Something like this will pump five times more flow.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/BJM-Pumps-1-12-Volt-Battery-Submersible-Pump/11375517?ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=11375517&sourceid=1500000000000003260430&adid=22222222227000000000&wl0={matchtype}&wl1={network}&wl2={ifmobile:m}&wl3=21486607510&wl4={aceid}&wl5=pla&veh=sem#ProductDetail

Or you can use two or three of the pumps you have in parallel.

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
If the volume is limited by head, I doubt two or three in parallel will make much difference. Now, pumps in series might...

Of course, but if the volume is not limited by head, another pump in parallel would double the volume. And those little pumps will build like 65' of head. They don't last very long though. I use them to empty out water containers at trade shows. Mine came with some extra rubber "blades", wouldn't call them impellers. They work pretty good for short periods of time. I used up all my extras over a few years.

That submersible type pump lifts a lot more water, but it won't do as much head. Usually need larger pipe to limit the head to get more volume.

flurver

Reaction score
Hey guys, thanks for your replies.

Only reason I am hesitant to use a submersible pump is because access to water sources might be easier obtained with a hose than a submersible pump.
For example if I was pulling water from the ocean I would rather throw a hose in vs throwing or wading out and putting a submersible pump in.

That said if a submersible is superior than I would probably make the compromise.

Along the same lines, would I need a specialized pump for salt water?

Thanks

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I think it is easier to throw a submersible in where I want it than to get the end of a hose weighted enough to stay down, but not too far down.

Salt water needs all Stainless Steel or all plastic. But even iron will last for a little while, if this is a not a permanent install.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks