Light Pole

Users who are viewing this thread

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There's a lot of materials science that goes into the rules. Stock PVC drainage pipe is not rated for long-term external UV exposure. There are lots of ways to make pvc from the density (some pipe is specifically lighter - it has air bubbles inside), UV resistance, heat stability, and probably other things as well. What you do for yourself is one thing (although if there was any eventual property or personal damage/injury caused by it, your insurance company may refuse to pay up), what you do with others, even if you give them away is risky. Whether you believe it or not is irrelevant.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I think you guys are off base.

Let's assume he has taken a common lamp holder and hung it from his makeshift post. I don't think it violates any code or law. People make custom lamps all the time using standard UL listed parts.

We all know that PVC DVW pipe is not intended for constant exposure to UV. His design and materials might not be the best choice, but don't see any law or code being broken.

How about people who have their yard lights installed on trees? I see that all the time, and don't think it's right. Is there a law against it?

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
There are several laws and codes are adopted into the law so they are laws, that come into play here. The post is being used to enclose the conductors that supply the bulb and this causes problems in and of itself.
Then there are the issues of the connections of the wiring method used to the lamp holder. This must be enclosed. If the post is over a certain height there must be a hand hole enclosure at the bottom.

The bottom line is the entire fixture and pole must be evaluated by a NRTL and it does not matter if you are installing them on your own property or not.

Cameron Fields

Undergraduate
Reaction score
I think you guys are off base.

Let's assume he has taken a common lamp holder and hung it from his makeshift post. I don't think it violates any code or law. People make custom lamps all the time using standard UL listed parts.

We all know that PVC DVW pipe is not intended for constant exposure to UV. His design and materials might not be the best choice, but don't see any law or code being broken.

How about people who have their yard lights installed on trees? I see that all the time, and don't think it's right. Is there a law against it?

Ok thank you for saying that well understood.
¡Qué pena que sea que pienses eso. translate to; What a pity it is that you think that.

Last edited:

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
People make custom lamps all the time using standard UL listed parts.

Yes, they do, and most of them are illegal. Moreover, they quite frequently are dangerous, ignoring well-established safety
standards for light fixture construction. I don't think UL is in the business of listing luminaire "parts".

Mr. Fields, I'll put it to you bluntly: your fixtures are ugly trash, and illegal to install anywhere the NEC is in force, which is most of the U.S.A
and beyond.

Cameron Fields

Undergraduate
Reaction score
The North Korea one.

Sorry to through you off topic.

Ah. I thought that's what you were talking about, it has my neighbor freaking out. Its all over my local news.

Mr. Fields, I'll put it to you bluntly: your fixtures are ugly trash, and illegal to install anywhere the NEC is in force, which is most of the U.S.A
and beyond.
Ugly trash is a matter of opinion, however I believe you are correct! like the commenter stated above I will contact NRTL later today to get my "homemade" product tested so that it has a chance to be legal. And that people won't have to worry if I am installing a hazard. Thank you all for your very descriptive opinions.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
! like the commenter stated above I will contact NRTL later today to get my "homemade" product tested so that it has a chance to be legal. And that people won't have to worry if I am installing a hazard. Thank you all for your very descriptive opinions.

Some of the nationally recognzed testing labs are UL, ETL, etc. NOW, are you aware of the cost of obtaining such a listing??? It has been many years since I have been involved, but today I think between $5k and $10k will do it.

Cameron Fields

Undergraduate
Reaction score
Some of the nationally recognized testing labs are UL, ETL, etc. NOW, are you aware of the cost of obtaining such a listing??? It has been many years since I have been involved, but today I think between $5k and $10k will do it.

Ah. i have heard of this, WOW i did not know they NRTL was so expensive my neighbors landlord Paul went to Aveomeen i think and they did not even test the product they just charged him then listed it. I talked with my neighbor and in more polite words for this forum she advised me not to go to NRTL. She claims that they charged and they do not really even test the products is that true. Is it just like BBB if so i don't care if my product is illegal they can stick there UL listing where the sun don't shine. And if they want to sue me for diligence or whatever may god be on there side.

A racket is a service that is fraudulently offered to solve a problem, such as for a problem that does not actually exist, will not be affected, or would not otherwise exist. Conducting a racket is racketeering.[1] Particularly, the potential problem may be caused by the same party that offers to solve it, although that fact may be concealed, with the specific intent to engender continual patronage for this party.
Wiki Media Foundation

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Avomeen seems to be mainly a chemical-oriented firm. THey do offer specialized litigation support.....there is a word you don't want to hear....the zeros REALLY start clicking up on your bill!!!!!!!!!!

Cameron Fields

Undergraduate
Reaction score
Avomeen seems to be mainly a chemical-oriented firm. THey do offer specialized litigation support.....there is a word you don't want to hear....the zeros REALLY start clicking up on your bill!!!!!!!!!!

Tell me about it. Do you know how much it cost to design and produce a simple less than 1GPF toilet? try like $25,000.00 I just got of the phone with an investment banker and he want 21% interest 2% from being illegal at that rate each toilet would cost over $900.00 per consumer I would be bankrupt within a month plus my Mc. Mansion Remodel bill. your right the last thing I want to see is zeros. do you know any place cheaper?

JWelectric

Reaction score
Cameron

The problem you are going to have with your own pole lights will be a battle between you and your homeowners insurance and the battle will depend on which state you live in. Nothing will transpire unless someone gets hurt or if you decide to sell and a home inspector gets involved.

The problem with the ones that are installed on someone else’s property is the liability that will fall squarely on your shoulders.

The Party you get to evaluate you pole lights has already tested the components that the light is constructed from so all that needs to be done is the evaluation unless the fixture is constructed from components that have not been tested.

The field evaluation will be very costly and time consuming. They might look at only one but they might want to see everyone that you have installed. Then there will be the problem of the ones located away from the property you own.

At any rate no light fixture can be connected to your power system unless it first has the label from a NTRL. You will need to contact your state to see which NTRLs they recognize.

This is far different than installing speakers

Cameron Fields

Undergraduate
Reaction score
Cameron

The problem you are going to have with your own pole lights will be a battle between you and your homeowners insurance and the battle will depend on which state you live in. Nothing will transpire unless someone gets hurt or if you decide to sell and a home inspector gets involved.

The problem with the ones that are installed on someone else’s property is the liability that will fall squarely on your shoulders.

The Party you get to evaluate you pole lights has already tested the components that the light is constructed from so all that needs to be done is the evaluation unless the fixture is constructed from components that have not been tested.

The field evaluation will be very costly and time consuming. They might look at only one but they might want to see everyone that you have installed. Then there will be the problem of the ones located away from the property you own.

At any rate no light fixture can be connected to your power system unless it first has the label from a NTRL. You will need to contact your state to see which NTRLs they recognize.

This is far different than installing speakers

Oh. I did not know that was what everyone was talking about the lights are wired to a sensor that's plugged into and outdoor socket I can unplug it and move the lights at anytime its not set in stone or hard wired just simply plugged in.

JWelectric

Reaction score
I am not sure if you are right. I have other lights with the same design, I personally made them my self. And they have survived hurricane after hurricane and the wind it really unpredictable. I also have some pull in local government and law enforcement in my county and I literality just installed four of theses lamps at no charge to the mayor of my town. I will definitely ask her if it is illegal and if it is I really don't know what I will do, probably petition the government for their ignorance like I have done in the past or have the law mended. However I really appreciate you telling me of this, its always better to here this before it becomes a problem. rest assured the problem with be quickly dissolved.
and it is around 40 volts not 120.

Oh. I did not know that was what everyone was talking about the lights are wired to a sensor that's plugged into and outdoor socket I can unplug it and move the lights at anytime its not set in stone or hard wired just simply plugged in.
How have you got them fastened in place that the wind don't blow them away in a hurricane?

edited after two days wondering if the question is to hard to answer

Last edited:

Cameron Fields

Undergraduate
Reaction score
How have you got them fastened in place that the wind don't blow them away in a hurricane?

edited after two days wondering if the question is to hard to answer

Sorry I did not know you commented, they are about a foot into the ground. They are not cemented or anything like that. and they have not fallen over or bent etc. They occasionally movie abut an inch in the wind that's about it.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Sorry I did not know you commented, they are about a foot into the ground. They are not cemented or anything like that. and they have not fallen over or bent etc. They occasionally movie abut an inch in the wind that's about it.

1 foot ?

Wait for a good rain, then you can gather them up.

JWelectric

Reaction score

This means that are fastened in place and cord and plug is not allowed as an installation method.

Many times a Do-it-yourselfer will get a real good idea but although they think their idea is one of the best in the end what they have is a non-compliant mess that looks fairly decent.

The fact that you can move them easily in no way means that the receptacle is easy to move that you have them plugged into. Please tell me that you are not using a cord for this purpose.

Cameron Fields

Undergraduate
Reaction score
This means that are fastened in place and cord and plug is not allowed as an installation method.

Many times a Do-it-yourselfer will get a real good idea but although they think their idea is one of the best in the end what they have is a non-compliant mess that looks fairly decent.

The fact that you can move them easily in no way means that the receptacle is easy to move that you have them plugged into. Please tell me that you are not using a cord for this purpose.
No I am not using the cord for that purpose just to power them not to hold them the cord actually runs ground level with leafs on top running through the bush. and the cord is supposed to be weather resistant says the guy at homedepot.
Wait for a good rain, then you can gather them up.
We have had many rains some worse than others.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; cord is supposed to be weather resistant says the guy at homedepot.

Now that's a recommendation that should relieve your mind of any possible worries.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks