Appliances - Dry Rot?

Users who are viewing this thread

MB1

Reaction score
Hi all,

My old Maytag washer and old dishwasher have been sitting for about 1-1/2 years unused. Is dry rot a problem on any of the rubber parts? The hoses on the washer were replaced 1-1/2 years ago but had been used a bit. Anything else to be concerned about when putting them back in service?

Had this happen with an uninstalled used toilet that sat a long time.

Another old toilet has been put back on, after sitting about a year uninstalled with tank attached. He replaced the flap.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Cameron Fields

Undergraduate
Reaction score
Storage

Hi all,

My old Maytag washer and old dishwasher have been sitting for about 1-1/2 years unused. Is dry rot a problem on any of the rubber parts? The hoses on the washer were replaced 1-1/2 years ago but had been used a bit. Anything else to be concerned about when putting them back in service?

Had this happen with an uninstalled used toilet that sat a long time.

Another old toilet has been put back on, after sitting about a year uninstalled with tank attached. He replaced the flap.

Thanks.
Well if it was stored in a shed or indoors it will most-likely still work fine. Out in the heat you are going to have a big problem especially if it has been in hot and cold temperature.

MB1

Reaction score
They were previously in operation for years but have been sitting in the house, HVAC on. Both are connected, just not used for almost 1-1/2 years. Worried about any rubber parts dry rotting like a toilet had done.

This toilet had been disconnected. The flapper was replaced at reinstall. He didn't say anything about the gasket or other parts.

Last edited:

Cameron Fields

Undergraduate
Reaction score
You can run a test wash but everything should be fine the differences in the toilet is that the tanks parts are meant to constantly have water in them no like the dishwasher. But everything wares out eventually but you should be fine :)

MB1

Reaction score
Thank you. It was a horrifying thought about their parts this morning, after remembering it had happened to the toilet.

Are you a plumber?

Cameron Fields

Undergraduate
Reaction score
Thank you. It was a horrifying thought about their parts this morning, after remembering it had happened to the toilet.

Are you a plumber?
No I am not a certified plumber nor do I claim it. I am mostly a designer and modifier I work on many projects professional, home/personal and I am really good with toilets especially American Standard Brand and Kholer Brand. I am in the process of having my own less than 1gpf (Gallons Per Flush) high efficiency toilet Manufactured. I have also designed a shower lift for the handicapped. I am glad to have helped you,

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The smart thing for a washing machine is to turn the water off when not in use. A burst supply hose can do major damage. Not all hoses are created equal, some are better than others. Unless exposed to UV and the weather, the hoses should not have degraded much. If they are still soft and not hardened, and can flex without cracking, they should be okay. Safest is to run a load while nearby the first time. Internally, those hoses are designed for the life of the unit, but anything can happen.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The most likely problem is the shaft seal, which likes to have water around it all the time. If it is bad, the washer/dishwasher will leak when it fills with water.

Wet_Boots

Sprinkler Guy
Reaction score
The door seal on a dishwasher might be suspect, if the dishwasher is unused long enough.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks