Vent toilet with San-T??

Users who are viewing this thread

Hammerlane

Reaction score
Can a San-T be used like in photo "A" to vent a toilet or is that considered a flat vent?

Or does a wye and a 45 need to be used like in "B"?

Attachments

• toilet-drain.jpg
    toilet-drain.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 4,781
Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It is not "considered" a flat vent, because it IS a flat vent. The Y/45 is the approved way. You have to install the Y low enough so that the vertical pipe gives you the proper clearance for the toilet.

Hammerlane

Reaction score
It is not "considered" a flat vent, because it IS a flat vent. The Y/45 is the approved way. You have to install the Y low enough so that the vertical pipe gives you the proper clearance for the toilet.

OK for being what it IS.

Photo "B" was just for reference from Bert K's Lincoln County Plumbing handout

Jm66208

Reaction score
How long can the drain line be before It needs a vent? I have never seen a toilet drain line with a vent. Although most I see are just a couple feet away from the stack.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; I have never seen a toilet drain line with a vent.

I have NEVER installed a toilet drain line WITHOUT a vent. The real question is "How long can a drain line be until the vent is connected", since good codes say it ALWAYS needs a vent.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The max distance to a vent is determined by the size of the drain line, the overall design, and how the fittings are installed. Since the drain line needs slope, on a larger pipe, you can go further and still expect there to be an air path above the waste, so that distance is longer. That distance depends on which codes are used where you live. One would expect them to be similar, but they apparently make some assumptions and are more lenient on some than others.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Although most I see are just a couple feet away from the stack.

And would that be a vent above the santee?

If you don't know how and why plumbing functions, it may just look like pipes going here and there. There is a science to the design of a system.

dwv_b2.jpg

Can you tell wich parts are waste and which are vents? And then add in trap arms.

Jm66208

Reaction score
And would that be a vent above the santee?

Yes, poor choice of words on my part. What I meant to say is that typically I see toilet drain lines with a 4" trap arm no longer than about 4-6' that drain into a 4" vertical stack that goes up through the roof. In this situation, I never see the trap arm vented.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A santee and trap arm is good for six feet on a toilet, assuming that the pipe above the santee is a vent.

No waste can run down the vertical stack from above unless the toilet is vented before it hits the stack.

Jm66208

Reaction score
A santee and trap arm is good for six feet on a toilet, assuming that the pipe above the santee is a vent.

No waste can run down the vertical stack from above unless the toilet is vented before it hits the stack.

Got it! Is the 6' rule for 3" pipe, 4", or both?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A santee and trap arm is good for six feet on a toilet

For the UPC code, it's 3" and 4"

With the new low flow toilets, venting is more important than ever.
Since there is less water in the bowl now, and so many new toilets using a quicker flush, how they are plumbed is much more critical.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks