Soft Close Toilet Seat Hinges

Users who are viewing this thread

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Do you want to replace what you have, or try to add them to something? Someone located the magic silicon oil that can restore them. Don't remember the details, but you should find it here with the search function. If the O-rings wear out, or are forced out of position because the seat is pushed down (it's a controlled leak, and think about hydraulic pressure...it's what stops your car, and the pressure can be extreme). Other than that, the only solution is to replace the seat as the thing is not treated as a repairable item.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't know the availability of new hinges or repair parts, but I would wonder if even if these are available, would be worth the effort. Why not just buy a new seat?

MAD King

Reaction score
I don't know the availability of new hinges or repair parts, but I would wonder if even if these are available, would be worth the effort. Why not just buy a new seat?

Because I have an unpainted solid wood seat and I do not want to pay $150 for a new one.
It is really ridiculous that they offer regular replacement hinges but not self or soft closing ones.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
These things are an integral part of the seat. There are at least two companies that make soft-close seats that I know of: Bemis and Toto. There are probably others. They don't cost $150, either.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you follow the link at the top of this page to Shopping/Toto and scroll to toilet seats, you can find Toto soft close seats ranging in price from $45 to $80 (Black is lots more) Shipping is about $15.

MAD King

Reaction score
These things are an integral part of the seat. There are at least two companies that make soft-close seats that I know of: Bemis and Toto. There are probably others. They don't cost $150, either.

Toto Wood Elongated Toilet Seat SS304#PB $187

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't know where you got that model, but try this. Go to the top of this page. Click on "Toilet Review". Next screen, click on "Shopping". On the next screen click on "Toto Toilets". Now scroll through all of the many models of Toto toilets until you come almost to the end. You will see 3 models of Toto Soft Close seats. Each of these models have a pull down that will list the color options. Here are just a few of them: SS113 and SS114 @$45 plus shipping. The SS154 @$70 plus shipping, and the SS204@$70 plus shipping. Those are all from Terry Love and can be ordered right there.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Wood in an inherently damp and hostile environment needs to be very carefully made if it is meant to survive and look good...not surprised they cost so much more than a plastic version. 99.9% live with a toilet colored toilet seat. Living in that upper end always costs more.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks