new bathroom wiring project

Users who are viewing this thread

Tricky Ricky

Reaction score
hi..im putting in a new basment bathroom and need some help with the wiring..its a basic bathroom but im a sprinkler fitter not an electrician. here are two sketches of exsisting room and new bathroom.

Attachments

• bathroom.jpg
    bathroom.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 523
Reaction score
hi..im putting in a new basment bathroom and need some help with the wiring..its a basic bathroom but im a sprinkler fitter not an electrician. here are two sketches of exsisting room and new bathroom.

I don't know the requirements in Canada.

That said, typically you need at least one more circuit. there should be a 20 amp receptacle at the sink/vanity, and it should be GFI protected

You have a light over the shower. There are real limits on that. A recessed light with a glass lens specifically for a wet location (shower) is an easy and inexpensive solution, and will light it up well. But the lens must be completely rated for fitting in a shower.

Anything else would demand that the light be protected by a GFI, which could either be a receptacle or a breaker in a panel.

I am getting ready to install a fan/light in a shower stall for a customer, and all such equipment, being open, must be protected by a GFI. I am replacing an outdated sub panel right across the hall, so I'll just drop a GFI breaker in that and dedicate it to the fan/light.

Understand that strictly speaking, you cannot hang anything on the GFI that is for the vanity. If you do and the inspector spots it, he will most likely make you redo the whole mess. The circuit for the vanity needs to be beefy enough to run a hair dryer, you see.

What I do not see in your drawing, which is miserably hard to read, is an indication of where your panel is.

Current code would also require that you have all the outlets in the basement be GFI, except the pump, and the outlet for that should be a single plug, not a duplex plug, indicating that it is a sole function circuit. At least, here it would be.

Not that we have basements and sump pumps down here.

So you should certainly expect to add a circuit, and possibly two. I assume non-metalic cable is permitted there. It is cheap and easy to work with.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The previous post is a bit incorrect. You are required to have a dedicated circuit for the bathroom. The receptacles and shower light require GFCI protection, so feeding the bath from a GFCI breaker would be a good idea. Alternatively, the loads could be fed through a GFCI receptacle. Doing this is more convenient if when the GFCI needs to be reset.

Receptacles in the unfinished basement or in the bath need to have GFCI protection. If you are finishing other rooms in the basement, they must have AFCI protection.

Tricky Ricky

Reaction score
thks for the input guys....i broke down and got an election...lol....i want it done right and i just dont trust myself to do it right, thks for the replies...and my next project will have a bigger picture.. thks

ActionDave

Electrician
Reaction score
The previous post is a bit incorrect. You are required to have a dedicated circuit for the bathroom.
Not necessarily. One circuit serving only the recpts. can go to more than one bathroom
The receptacles and shower light require GFCI protection,
No. Only the recepts. Sometimes the instructions for a light call for GFCI protection but the NEC doesn't.
feeding the bath from a GFCI breaker would be a good idea. Alternatively, the loads could be fed through a GFCI receptacle. Doing this is more convenient if when the GFCI needs to be reset.
True.
Receptacles in the unfinished basement or in the bath need to have GFCI protection. If you are finishing other rooms in the basement, they must have AFCI protection.
They require AFCI's in Canada? Pitty them as well.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
quote; If you are finishing other rooms in the basement, they must have AFCI protection.

Even if they are not bedrooms?

70-2008:210.12(210.1-210.18)702008210.12 Arc-Fault Circuit-Interrupter Protection.

(A) Definition: Arc-Fault Circuit Interrupter (AFCI). A device intended to provide protection from the effects of arc faults by recognizing characteristics unique to arcing and by functioning to de-energize the circuit when an arc fault is detected.

(B) Dwelling Units. All 120-volt, single phase, 15- and 20-ampere branch circuits supplying outlets installed in dwelling unit family rooms, dining rooms, living rooms, parlors, libraries, dens, bedrooms, sunrooms, recreation rooms, closets, hallways, or similar rooms or areas shall be protected by a listed arc-fault circuit interrupter, combination-type, installed to provide protection of the branch circuit.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks