Removing Shower Drain Problem

Users who are viewing this thread

saeefamily4

Reaction score
Being a new homeowner and amatuer DIYer, I am having a dilemma while trying to remove a 15 year old shower drain. It is rusted and corroded, I have managed to loosen it and it turns somewhat freely. But, I have been turning it for a LONG time with no progress. Looking down into the (nasty) drain, I noticed what looks like the pipe the drain is in also turns with the drain itself. I have very limited crawl space underneath the house, so that is probably not an option for myself. Any suggestions?

Also, thank you for the wisdom in these forums, they've helped me a lot in the past!

saeefamily4

Reaction score
Can you post a picture? 800 pixels or less.
Are you replacing the shower pan?

Thanks for the reply Terry, no I am not replacing the pan. I just wanted to replace the drain/strainer because it looked so bad. Here are the pictures you requested. I should also let you know, I got in the crawlspace and made it to the pipe coming from the shower. Had my wife turn the drain but no pipe under the house also turned.

Last edited by a moderator:

saeefamily4

Reaction score
The chromed part should not spin. That would be attached from the underside.

I am sorry, I do not follow. Could you explain in more detail? If it is not supposed to spin, how does it come out? Or should the "golden rusty" piece be the only one coming out as it is not turning at all by itself. The other tub/shower drain in the house was replaced in the same fashion last year. And again, thank you for the quick reply.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I believe that the inner ring of the drain is threaded into the outer (chrome) ring of the drain. They are two halves of the drain. If the outer section is loose, it will need to be held from under the shower pan (if it were accessible). There comes a point where cutting the drain out becomes a necessary evil. Much care must be used to not damage the shower pan.

Last edited:

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
IS this old piping not getting updated?

Why not bashed it out? We find using an old screwdriver (flat head) and a framing hammer is an easy way to punch out the drain collar in the tub.

You might drill it out with a sceries of small 1/4" holes.

Of course this will destroy the tub - is it going anyway?

JW

saeefamily4

Reaction score
No the old piping is not getting updated, nor is the shower stall. Piping still looks great, the drain was just very rusty and unsightly. Wife wanted it replaced.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
No the old piping is not getting updated, nor is the shower stall. Piping still looks great, the drain was just very rusty and unsightly. Wife wanted it replaced.

Sorry - I got nothing for you.

We struggle to twist these out and when regular methods fail we smash it out.

Perhaps it was stripped when it was first installed?

JW

shower-drain-remove.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks