Vent distance to bathroom sink

Users who are viewing this thread

Wheaty

Reaction score
We have an unfinished room in the basement that is plumbed for a 1-sink bathroom. I don't like the current position of the sink drain and would like to move it. The trouble is (I think), that its new proposed position would make the sink trap too far (more than 3' 6") from the current vent position. The drain pipe diameter is 1-1/2 inches. (Please correct me if I've misunderstood the required trap-to-vent distance).

My question: Am I allowed to move the vent such that its connection to the drain is within the required 3' 6" of the new sink trap. Please look at the "Current" and "Proposed" diagrams below for clarification. Thanks very much for any help.

Attachments

• Current.jpg
    Current.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 5,555
  • Proposed.jpg
    Proposed.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 6,348

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Under UPC, 3'6" is the max distance allowed between the trap and it's vent for 1-1/2" pipe. What you have proposed is fine as long as you are using the correct fittings and are within the max distance for the length of the pipe.

Wheaty

Reaction score
Under UPC, 3'6" is the max distance allowed between the trap and it's vent for 1-1/2" pipe. What you have proposed is fine as long as you are using the correct fittings and are within the max distance for the length of the pipe.

Thanks a lot. I very much appreciate your help. Onwards...

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Move the vent line, either run it straight down, or around the corner so it's within the specified distance to the trap arm of the relocated vanity. You could put a cap on the wye where it goes in now and install a new one wherever you can to get it within the specs. The issue is that with the required slope, there must be a path for air for the venting to work properly, or it's possible the pipe might be full of water because of the height differences where you tap it in. The bigger the pipe, the further away you can be at 1/4"/foot and still not potentially 'cap' the line up.

Wheaty

Reaction score
Why are you "teeing" the vent into the horizontal pipe there, instead of at, or around, the corner?

I see your point. The reason I'm doing it there is that the water lines for the sink need to pop out at the corner (the cabinet is one of those Ikeas that seem to give you very little leeway on your plumbing choices) and crowd me out, and the walls are 2x4 around the corner, which complicates things there. Thanks for your input.

Wheaty

Reaction score
Move the vent line, either run it straight down, or around the corner so it's within the specified distance to the trap arm of the relocated vanity. You could put a cap on the wye where it goes in now and install a new one wherever you can to get it within the specs. The issue is that with the required slope, there must be a path for air for the venting to work properly, or it's possible the pipe might be full of water because of the height differences where you tap it in. The bigger the pipe, the further away you can be at 1/4"/foot and still not potentially 'cap' the line up.

Thanks for your advice. I realise that my design may not be functionally optimal, but there are "space" reasons I can't run the vent as you suggest. I'm just double checking here, but if I do as I propose, I'm thinking I'm ok as long as I'm within the 3'6" to the trap? I'd try and get it as close as I can to the trap. Cheers.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I figured there was a reason you were not going vertical closer to the trap. There is nothing wrong with your proposed installation, it's just not what we we would normally expect to see.

The vertical vent take-off must be within 3'6" of the trap and the horizontal section of vent cannot be below 42" from the floor.

Wheaty

Reaction score
I figured there was a reason you were not going vertical closer to the trap. There is nothing wrong with your proposed installation, it's just not what we we would normally expect to see.

The vertical vent take-off must be within 3'6" of the trap and the horizontal section of vent cannot be below 42" from the floor.

Thanks again!

Wheaty

Reaction score
Last question, if I may: The fitting connecting the drain to the vent (just above the word "Proposed") should be a wye right? Or a wye combo? Or either? Thank you.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks