Schedule 30 for toilet drain?

Users who are viewing this thread

Mar3232

Reaction score
may not want to hear the answer on this because I already ran about 16 feet of it in my crawl space but double checking.

used that 3" PVC pipe that has the thinner wall (also a "flange" at one end where you can put 10' pieces together).

have a nice slope and it drains very well (water anyway).

the guy at Home Depot said I can use it for a toilet drain -- is he right ? !

thinking about it now, I wonder if you have to use the thicker schedule 40 instead?

actually, I do plan on using sched 40 from the toilet and then about 6 feet later, coupling to the sched 30, and doinf the same on the other end that ties to the main drain.

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
Why would you even consider using it? The difference in cost is close to nothing. How can Home Depot allow such unqualified people to represent them?

John

MTcummins

In the Trades
Reaction score
ABSOLUTELY rip all of that out and put in 40. Its not legal, not going to last, etc. That stuff is made for drainage water outside, not household waste. And its a PITA to convert back and forth between them too.

Every once in a while you'll get a good employee at HD. They're usually the old guys, a retired plumber that needs something to do or some similar situation. If they're 30 and working at HD, there's a reason. If they knew what the hell they were doing, they'd be out doing it, not making $8/hr at Home Cheapo.

Seriously, if you have a question when you're there, be obnoxious and ask the other customers... you know, the ones in overalls with a plumbing company name on the patch. I know I'm gonna be hated by all the other plumbers on here for suggesting such a thing, but you help people here, might as well try to save people from themselves (and the HD employees) there too. Of course most of you pros probably never shop at HD, but I do see some in there from time to time. And when I see a particularly confused shopper, I try to help out if I have a minute. Pay it forward :)

Chad Schloss

Reaction score
It is legal here in Michigan. Our 2006 home used it along with Sched. 40. Would I change it over if I could? sure. This is made for household use, I have looked it up before. Genova i think is the manufacturer, or at least some of the fittings.

MTcummins

In the Trades
Reaction score
It MAY be legal in your area, depending on what code you use, etc. I can't really comment on that. I know that it is NOT legal where I live.

Either way, you're in the early stages, do it right. Once its all done, you've chained yourself to an inferior product. And who wants inferior products when it comes to getting waste out of your house? Its just not worth it.

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score

Chad Schloss

Reaction score
funny, it passed inspection in 2006 when it was built. it is sold at the big box stores locally and the pipe is labeled DWV ASTM-2949 i think
EDIT: It's allowed per your .PDF under table 702.3

astm2949.jpg

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The people who would use that pipe are the same ones who would use Orangeburg, because it was cheaper. I do not know how you would use it for a complete indoors system because there are limited fittings for it and you cannot use it with sch. 40 fittings unless you use an adapter at every joint, which quickly wipes out any price advantage. IT is permitted outdoors underground, but if you use it there, be prepared to dig it up some day when it becomes "egg shaped" and you cannot snake the stoppage in it.

Chad Schloss

Reaction score
" I do not know how you would use it for a complete indoors system"

The fittings that I see on what is installed here do not have an adapter. They use sched 30 on two ends and sched 40 on another. like I see a 3x3x2 wye and the 3" portion is sched 30 and the 2" is sched 40. Just for FYI

dwv.jpg

Mar3232

Reaction score
Figures.

I have no choice but to use it for a year or so and then replace it -- no way I'm doing that crawl space &^)% again (for now) with my 60 year old body. I do have a nice slope and certainly won't put ANY chemicals, etc in it -- and flush often. Normally I don't listen to anything a Home Depot guy tells me but this was an old dude and "supposedly" a former plumber.

MTcummins

In the Trades
Reaction score
I hate to hear (er, rather see) myself even typing this, but if its all in and done already, you can probably just live with it. It may do you ok for a good long time, it may not. The issue is, are you ok with dealing with an emergency replacement of it down the road if it fails?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks