How to clean years of accumulated gunk from kitchen sink piping

Users who are viewing this thread

GoshenPlumber

Reaction score
The PVC drain line from our kitchen sink was clogged but we managed to use a plunger to clear the clog and now it drains well. However the problem is sure to return and I need another solution.

The 2 inch PVC drain line from the bottom of the kitchen sink trap runs horizontally with a slight decline about 30 feet to the 4 inch main sewer line which connects to the septic tank. When I removed a clean-out at the end of the 30 foot run and watched water from the kitchen sink pass through the 2 inch pipe and flow into the 4 inch main line, I noticed masses of "gunk" flow out of the 2 inch line. Each mass was about 2 inches in diameter. This is material that must have built up in the pipe over the years. After a few minutes, there were no more masses of "gunk" coming out of the 2 inch line, and only water was running out of the 2 inch line into the 4 inch main. However the water running out of the 2 inch line was grey in color and was not running clear. I am guessing that the walls of the 2 inch line have accumulated "gunk" on them and that accounts for the grey color.

How do I clean the inside walls of the 30 feet of 2 inch PVC line so that the line does not clog again?
I think the typical snake one buys at Lowes or Walmart would be inadequate for this cleaning, true?
Home brew cleaner?
Chemical cleaner (that is friendly to my septic tank)?
Call a professional plumber with a professional snake to clean out the line?

Thank you.

He's Handy

Reaction score
Bathroom Sink Drain Clog

1213121633.jpg1213121635.jpg1213121635a.jpg1213121638a.jpg1213121638.jpg
I like to use Bio-Clean on kitchen sink lines.

https://terrylove.com/forums/showth...Waste-Eliminator-Bioclean&highlight=bio-clean

It's an enzyme that eats the grease and keeps the pipe clean. It's also safe around your kids and pets. In fact I use it in my cat's litter box.

He's Handy

Reaction score
Bathroom Sink Drain Clog

View attachment 19111View attachment 19112View attachment 19113View attachment 19114View attachment 19115
I like to use Bio-Clean on kitchen sink lines.

https://terrylove.com/forums/showth...Waste-Eliminator-Bioclean&highlight=bio-clean

It's an enzyme that eats the grease and keeps the pipe clean. It's also safe around your kids and pets. In fact I use it in my cat's litter box.

My first time here. I hope the pictures attach.
I discovered this clogging in my drain a couple years ago. I have to clean it about twice a year. What the heck is it and how does it happen. It smells awful and of course it restricts flow. The strange thing to me is that I have 2 sinks side by side and only the left side, west side clogs. As well, the material is only in the piping between the sink drain and the p trap. Additionally, no other drains in the house do this. Please help.

Sdunn

Reaction score
This product by Cantol might work better Zep clears lines and has enzymes for healthy septic tank
BIO-DRAIN Liquid Bacteria/Enzyme Culture contains a balanced blend of several natural strains of aerobic (bacteria requiring
oxygen) and anaerobic (bacteria requiring no oxygen to live) high enzyme producing bacteria [which are nonpathogenic (nonharmful) and non-toxic]; plus a powerful deodorant and a biodegradable organic solvent. The ready-to-use 100% active bacteria, when introduced into a waste system, revive, feed, reproduce and generate high amounts of enzymes in the form of Amylase, Protease and Lipase, that digest organic waste matter. In addition, a powerful, hard-working deodorant is added to overcome and control even the toughest waste odours. A biodegradable organic solvent is added to initially help liquefy organic waste. This added solvency is especially effective in dissolving soil that clings to the sides of pipes and drains. BIO-DRAIN is used on a regular established schedule to replace cultures (bacteria) that are washed away or that die off after completing their function. When used according to directions, BIO-DRAIN breaks down protein, grease, fats, sugars, starches and other organic waste: thus reducing solids and BOD (Biological Oxygen Demand) while controlling odours. A “portion aid” is provided for accurate dispensing from litres and gallons while a compact automatic feeding and proportioning device is available to dispense BIO-DRAIN from drums. Superior enzyme-producing bacteria cultures plus a hard-working deodorant and solvent system equals an effective waste treatment systemin the form of BIO-DRAIN.
SEPTIC TANKS
• Initial Treatment: Use 17 ounces per 25 cu. ft. (156 gals.) capacity or ½ litre per 0.7 cu. m (702 litres). Pour into toilet and flush.
• Preventive Maintenance: Use 6 ounces (227 ml) per week for every 12 people using the facility. Pour into toilet and flush.
• If the septic tank has become clogged and is giving off bad odours, add 1 gallon (4.5 litres) directly to the septic tank through the manhole. Add every 3 days until conditions are normal.
• After the tank functions properly, begin preventive maintenance schedule.
NOTE: Apply BIO-DRAIN at the end of the day or during the lowest use period.
Plus they GUARANTEE
Cantol guarantees its products, when used as directed, to do all it claims. Should the product fail to demonstrate our claims, the remaining material may be returned to us and no charge will be made.

Cantol's number is 1-800-387-9773 Tell them Shawn referred you.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks