Moving toilet - need someone to double check my idea...

Users who are viewing this thread

charlieaf92

Reaction score
Hello :)

I'm new to the forum and at the beginning stages of doing a complete bathroom remodel. Part of the remodel involves moving the vanity and the toilet + upgrading to a double vanity.

I've done quite a bit of research about building code and the proper way to do this and I think this layout is going to fulfill all of the requirements. But, before I actually cut and start putting it together I thought I would ask some people more knowledgable than myself.

So - I've taken some pictures of the current layout and marked them up. You will see the piping that I have test fitted and how it would run. Because there is space between the joists and the ceiling below, I will have much more than the 1/4" per foot slope requirement. The toilet will be within about 5' of the drain pipe / stack. I will be connecting into that main 3" drain using the Y fitting that is laying next to it in the pictures.

My two biggest concerns/questions are

- Will this provide adequate venting
- Are the bends that I have going to pose any problems

bathroom_toilet_pipe.jpg

Anther angle

bathroom_toilet_pipe2.jpg

I marked a spot called 2" sink drain possibly. This is where I am considering running 2" drain coming from the double vanity. Each of the sinks would be vented separately - so I guess this 2" drain would also act as a vent for the toilet?

Thank you so much for your time - I really appreciate the help. Eventually I will post a start to finish thread (I'm taking pictures the whole way).
Charlie

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I don't see anything technically wrong with what you have shown, but you have not shown anything in regards to how the connections will be made.

charlieaf92

Reaction score
I don't see anything technically wrong with what you have shown, but you have not shown anything in regards to how the connections will be made.

Thanks for the replies and sorry for not being more specific. The connection will be made as shown - by cutting the 3" horizontal drain pipe in two places and inserting the Y piece laying next to it.

bathroom_toilet_pipe3.jpg

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
If you are going to cut in a sink drain as indicated, it will become a wet vent for the water closet. You will need to ensure that the wet vent is 2", not longer than 6', and that the slope is maintained at not more than 1/4" per foot.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks