Opinions On Lightweight Drywall Panels ?

Users who are viewing this thread

DavidSeon

Reaction score
The box stores around here are really pushing the newer lightweight drywall panels. I don't even see any of the traditional sag-resistant panels I had planned to use for textured ceilings; supposedly not necessary with the lightweight panels. I like the idea of lighter panels but I see a lot of complaints around the internet that they're more brittle, less flexible, dent and crack easily, don't block sound as much, don't snap as cleanly, etc. As a novice, I'd like whatever is the easiest to work with.

Any opinions on these newer panels? Are the professionals using these now?

Thanks

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I have done 2 rooms inside and out with it. It feels a little different when cutting, snapping, and screwing, but I did not feel it was much different than working with the standard drywall. The reduced weight is nice if when hanging a ceiling by yourself.

DavidSeon

Reaction score
Well, I guess it's a moot point; lightweight panels are the only "standard" gypsum panels available anywhere near here (other than greenboard and 5/8 fire rated). They can't even order the older, heavier panels now. So I guess I'll find out for myself what they're like.

Thanks for the replies.

Big2bird

IBEW Electrician
Reaction score
Well, I guess it's a moot point; lightweight panels are the only "standard" gypsum panels available anywhere near here (other than greenboard and 5/8 fire rated). They can't even order the older, heavier panels now. So I guess I'll find out for myself what they're like.

Thanks for the replies.
I used some this weekend. No issues here. Is easier to work with.(Carry)

lmei007

Reaction score
The box stores around here are really pushing the newer lightweight drywall panels. I don't even see any of the traditional sag-resistant panels I had planned to use for textured ceilings; supposedly not necessary with the lightweight panels. I like the idea of lighter panels but I see a lot of complaints around the internet that they're more brittle, less flexible, dent and crack easily, don't block sound as much, don't snap as cleanly, etc. As a novice, I'd like whatever is the easiest to work with.

Any opinions on these newer panels? Are the professionals using these now?

Thanks

Can anybody put a link here? I am interested to look at it to see if I should use them as well.

dtherrien

Licensed Building Contractor
Reaction score
Most lumber yards and supply places are switching to the light weight sheetrock.
I believe most of the problems are from big box supply places....I would recommend you buy from a lumber yard or a supply store that specializes in sheetrock.
I know both lowes and home depot have had problems with there sheetrock in the past. Also it does have to be installed and finished correctly to insure you dont have problems.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks