Bath tub advice

Users who are viewing this thread

DougB

Reaction score
I'm planning to remodel our master bath. Right now there's a 60 yr old pink corner tub.

I'm really confused - went to the Toto, and Kohler sites - seems like they have a million models - none described too well.

I'd like a drop in tub with a tile flange on three sides. About 36 x 56, it going to be mainly be used for showers. I figure you guy's have seen a lot of tubs - do you have any favorites? Cast iron or acrylic?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You'll never find a 56" alcove tub...tubs are measured from the stud to stud without any finish on the wall, and you will find lots of 60" tubs. If after removing the walls, your space is really only 56", you might find a 54" tub (they tend to be made in 6" increments from the 'standard' 60" version). There are lots of choices, some have a fixed apron, some have a removable one. There are many available with a tiling flange for an alcove installation. CI will last the longest and look the best (finish wise, maybe not style). There are lots more choices in acrylic, and it can last, but needs more careful installation to make it feel nice and sturdy.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
"Drop in" tubs seldom have flanges on three sides. You seem to be describing a standard 60" bathtub. There are many, many versions of them. Depending on WHERE it is going, I would opt for either a Kohler cast iron or an American Standard Americast.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
An acrylic tub can be scratched much easier than a CI one, so a CI will look new much longer. Because they aren't as structurally sound, it requires extra care to bed it properly so it doesn't flex. They can last a very long time, a CI tub will last longer unless you drop hard things in it and crack the porcelain then it rusts. Acrylic is much easier to get fancy shapes, and that can make it more comfortable to sit in and soak but it is all design, and there are bad ones as well as good ones on both. CI is much heavier, but it only gets carried up there once, so that shouldn't be a major design issue. On the bottom line, they're both good, depending on how you treat an acrylic, it can last a very long time.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks