softner problems

Users who are viewing this thread

hwilyle

Reaction score
When our water dist evidently doing maint., turned the pressure back on it forced resin out of our softner throughout the house. This seems to take out all the toilet fill valves etc. IS it possible to prevent this in the future, is it possible or wise to refill the resin tank (autotrol 255/400 control)

Servallwater

Reporter
Reaction score
Website
www.serveallwater.com
Did the distributor tube inside of your water softener break? Before adding more resin to the tank make sure that the distributor tube is not cracked at all. As far as the toilet valves and sinks go you should be able to clear the resin out of the floats. It can be tricky but if you turn off the angle stop which supplys water to your toilet then remove the top of the fill valve. Once the top of the valve is off you can slowly turn the angle stop back on to flush the resin. Keep a hand over this because it may spray. Finally yes it is possible to prevent this from happening in the future. You can install a sediment filter after the water softener so that it will clog if this was to ever happen again. Please let me know if you have any other questions regarding this.

Thanks

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Broken or damaged bottom screeens are sadly too common. Many companies have tried to save a few dollars by using less expensive bottom screens. Some low quality screens can cost 1/10th as much as a high quality screen. Many companies have switched over to the Fleck bottom screens to eliminate this as being a problem. The 40922 and 40924 screens are extremely expensive compared to some of the low end bottom screens, but it also virtually eliminates this problem in the future. These screens are also the highest flowing screens as well as being a fine mesh design. There are many other high quality screens available, but I have yet to find one as good as the 40922. The biggest issue in the past decade has been the "knock-offs" that look like a reputable companies bottom screen, but in testing, they fail miserably. Also, many companies do not use a gravel underbed. Gravel underbedding is always recommended unless you have a vortech tank design.

Jims advice on clearing the plumbing is perfect. It is difficult and time consuming clearing resin from a plumbing system. I would add that you should open the bottom of the water heater (annual flushing is recommended anyway), if resin is in the bottom of the water heater, you may have considerable difficulty getting it all out. Repeated flushes will help.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
... The 40922 and 40924 screens are extremely expensive compared to some of the low end bottom screens...
Didn't you once say they were only a couple bucks more than the generic 1236(?) basket? As soon as I can find a source for these I'm going to install them when I rebed my system...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks