hook up of table saw

Users who are viewing this thread

rmuir

Reaction score
i have an existing just bought a new table saw/ 230 volt/ draws 13.4 amps. factory wire size is 14 ga. wire, seems small but is factory, saw came from cab. shop. would like to hook up to existing circuit which has a 30 amp. breaker with each leg reading 122 volts and has large 6 ga. wire. can i use existing wire possibly with smaller breaker or pull new wire which i really don't want to do? thanks

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Seems like you should be on a 20 amp breaker, max. It the 14 ga. you refer to is an appliance cord, that does not necessarily have to comply with the rules for permanent wiring. A larger gauge on that cord would be a good idea, and there is no problem feeding it with 6 ga, just use the correct breaker.

ActionDave

Electrician
Reaction score
i have an existing just bought a new table saw/ 230 volt/ draws 13.4 amps. factory wire size is 14 ga. wire, seems small but is factory, .....
That is not a problem.

would like to hook up to existing circuit which has a 30 amp. breaker
What is the horsepower rating of the motor? You may be ok.

with each leg reading 122 volts
Make sure you have 240V phase to phase.

and has large 6 ga. wire. can i use existing wire possibly with smaller breaker or pull new wire which i really don't want to do? thanks
You don't have to pull new wire. Whether you need to use a smaller breaker depends on the H.P. rating of the saw. Less than three horse and you would need a 20A breaker.

ActionDave

Electrician
Reaction score
If that was how they attached it to the existing 30 amp breaker, it makes using #6 a stupid idea in the first place.
Not really. Amps are equal in a circuit, unless there is a problem with it. Upsizing conductors to overcome voltage drop can be done anywhere along the circuit.

Maybe whoever installed the circuit had enough #6 to get the job done, so there was no need to spend money on a new roll of wire.

It could also be that the circuit was originally meant for another purpose but it never got used.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks