Time for a new water softener system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Phillbo

Reaction score
Thanks for the insight. How do I size the unit I need? I have a 2100sf home with 2 adults living in it.

Bob999

Reporter
Reaction score
What is your water analysis--hardness and iron/manganese are of primary interest?

Do you have any large tubs, multihead showers, or other application of softened water that have unusually high flow demands? If so please describe.

Sizing is done based on compensated hardness and peak flow rate the softener will be expected to treat.

Phillbo

Reaction score
Water is very hard in my city but not a lot of metals/minerals. I don't have real numbers but that is what I have been told by a city worker.

We are simple water users and do not have huge tubs or multihead showers.

From additional research I feel a 32,000 grain unit would suffice.

Bob999

Reporter
Reaction score
If you have city water municipal water suppliers are required to regularly test the water and make the results available to users. Many municipalities post the results on a website. Others will provide the information if you call and ask.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
American home Water only sells very good quality equipment, you will do great with their units. The whole group over there has really got there stuff together. I would highly recommend them. Great prices, top notch service and equipment. The valve they use is a real Fleck too, not some cheap fake knockoff.

Phillbo

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input guys. Is a 1 cubic foot unit equal to a 32000 grain unit?

ditttohead

Reaction score
Yes, but the actual capacity will be much lower for efficiency reasons. The maximum I recommend programming a "32,000" grain unit for in a residential is to 24,000 grains. I prefer going lower. The grains capacity is based on resin volume and the amount of salt used during regeneration. Running a 1 Cu. Ft system at 32,000 grains is extremely inefficient.

Silversaver

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new to forum and looking for a new water softener. I am currently using a 10 yrs old GE Smartwater Profile which needs to be replace. After reading the forum, I think Fleck 7000 @ 48,000 grain might be a great choice for my family. I don't think I can do the installation myself.... Can someone referral me a good place to purchase and someone who can do the installation job for me?

My GE water softener is old using the 3/4" pipe and I do think the new system with 1" pipe might be better for water flow rate? Sorry, I am a newbie and looking for great advise :)

My location is Socal Orange County. It is a 4 bed rooms house with 4 people

Thanks

Last edited:

ditttohead

Reaction score
The 7000 has several plumbing connectors available. Considering you are in Orange County California, you will have copper plumbing. I would get the sweat connectors that match your plumbing. The valve only has the high flow bypass available. I prefer the 64,000 grain system, it is only 12" diameter and gives you maximum softness/flow/efficiency.

Silversaver

Reaction score
Last edited:

Silversaver

Reaction score
what's difference between fiberglass vs mineral tank? I see different vendors supply these 2 tanks as 12 x 48 and 12 x 52 for 64k grin system.

In additon: My current setup were using 3/4" piping. I could have using the flex connectors for easy installation, but I'm worry the 3/4" piping will limited the water flow rate.

The main piping to house were 1.25". Should I re-piping to 1" piping instead? I'm about the purchase the softener, but needs the info before I order the system.

Maybe I should have giving more infor:

My current water softener is a GE Smartwater Profile 40k system with 1" male threads. Somehow the installer has using the 3/4" copper pipes to connect between softener and house's main 1.25" pipes. I can feel the water pressure drops when 2 showers run at same time. This has bothering me the last 10 years.... Finally the water softener broke down!!!

Now, it is the chance to correct all the problem. It is good that I have decided on the Fleck 7000 64k system. I don't mind to hire a professional to install the system, but I need the info on correct size bypass connection to get with the new softener.

As I mention ealier, I can use a flex connector for simple installation over the exiting 3/4" piping, but I don't want to face the same problem I had for last 10years. Will a 1" piping helps? Or stay with 3/4" piping since the Fleck 7000 has better internal high flow valves compares with GE?

many thanks in advance

Last edited:

Lifespeed

Reaction score
The main piping to house were 1.25". Should I re-piping to 1" piping instead? I'm about the purchase the softener, but needs the info before I order the system.

Maybe I should have giving more infor:

My current water softener is a GE Smartwater Profile 40k system with 1" male threads. Somehow the installer has using the 3/4" copper pipes to connect between softener and house's main 1.25" pipes. I can feel the water pressure drops when 2 showers run at same time. This has bothering me the last 10 years.... Finally the water softener broke down!!!

Having suffered through low water pressure problems like yourself, I am a fan of not undersizing or downsizing pipes inappropriately or unnecessarily. A Fleck 7000 valve is available with an option for a 32 mm distributor tube, about 1-1/4", and has 1-1/4" internal valve ports. You have to specifically ask for the larger tube or they'll give you the standard 1.05" tube down the middle of the tank.

If your house is plumbed 1-1/4" and there is not some insurmountable obstacle to connecting the softener with 1-1/4" pipes I would stick with that size. The Fleck 7000 is available with 1-1/4" threaded adapters, why not use them? Depending on your situation, it could be a pretty minor job to hook up the softener to your plumbing without reducers.

Silversaver

Reaction score
thanks lifespeed. I'll order 1-1/4" MNPT with optional brass sweat to connect to my home 1-1/4" copper pipes.

I'll have the installer cut the exiting 3/4" pipes and use 1-1/4" through out the system.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks