Toilet wet vent under IPC

Users who are viewing this thread

brewdesign

Reaction score
I've looked through quite a few threads looking for specifics on using a wet vent on a toilet arm under IPC. From what I can tell, IPC lists no specific toilet vent requirement. In the attached drawing, a 2nd floor bathroom group is draining into a new 3" stack. The stack runs down to the main floor then under the kitchen picking up a kitchen sink then wyes into the building drain.

The 3" toilet arm has a 2" wet vent that connects through a combo then runs 45* before running vertical through the bathroom wall. Inside the wall a san tee accepts sink waste then above that (above flood rim) two tees brach in the sink and tub dry vents. The vent continues through roof. The tub waste drains via a 2x3 wye into the 3" stack under the toilet arm (due to space constraints in the joist bay).

So the question is whther or not this is an acceptable arrangement under the IPC. I think this fails under UPC since the toilet vent would seem to be required on the arm before the sink drains in.

Thanks in advance. bath2.jpg

Last edited:

Hammerlane

Reaction score
The part of the 2" that leaves the water closet 3" line to the right cannot be on the horizontal

Hammerlane

Reaction score
Can you explain that further? It is a wet vent.

Im having trouble uploading photos. But look at his diagram and start right next to the words "water closet". Follow that 3" and at the point where the 2"(from the lavatory) ties into the 3", the section of 2" appears to be on the horizontal. Are you saying that because that is part of a wet-vent, the horizontal is OK?

Thanks

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
A wet vent can be horizontal, and the IPC specifically approves went venting a bath group through the lavatory. The distance between the trap and it's vent must still be within what is allowed for the pipe diameter.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
My previous answer was either lost or deleted. SInce the toilet drain is washed by the lavatory drain, the horizontal section is proper. You might not even need the "loop" for the lavatory and vent, depending on its distance from the vent, or if you can relocate the vent closer to the sink.

brewdesign

Reaction score
Thank you again HJ. I didn't realize that the section in question could be horizontal but that makes sense. I ran that 2" vent section up at a 45 because I originally intended for it to be a dry vent. I later realized it could be converted to a wet vent to simplify the lav routing that would have been under the cramped joist bay. I finished the rough in per the drawing, albeit with a vent loop that was probably not necessary, but I already boared the holes and just went with it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks