GE Hybrid Service Codes

Users who are viewing this thread

Tail

Reaction score
I installed the new GE Hybrid last March and have been okay with it. I run it in heat pump mode only. But this morning I noticed it was flashing the following "Heat pump failure HPF code F-C" and then it gives a 1-888 phone number to call for service number, which I did call.

GE was very responsive and said that code meant they needed to order 3 parts which would be sent to me and after I received them they would set up a service appointment. Sounded good until she said one part is on delay and it would be a month until I would get it. She did mention that GE would give me up to $25 a month for energy reimbursement since my hybrid is running now on electric only.

And while she said they have very few calls on the hybrid I could not get out of her what this service code means. Anyone familiar with the hybrid's service codes in particular F-C :confused:

Thanks.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
There are many appliances, such as my oven, which give service codes which the manufacturer does NOT want to tell what is causing it. For those conditions they want their service people to do the repairs, so they do not tell you what or how to do them.

Tail

Reaction score
Hey that is what the Internet is for :) Just kidding. I just received the first of the parts that their customer service says I need to fix the problem. It is a line dryer for the compressor system so I am thinking a F-C service code stands for "Failed Compressor" which is concerning since the unit is so new. I hope this is not a long term issue. I have seen some other reports on the Web about compressor issues with the GE Hybrid. Also I am being told it will be another month until I get all the parts and a service call so I can use the heat pump mode again. My electric bill has really shot up since it is running only in standard electric. I will post back for those interested.

JB_3

Reaction score
Keep me informed. I also installed one last March and it started beeping with the HPF Code: F-C tonight. I'll be calling the 888 number Monday morning...

JB_3

Reaction score
I called the 888 number on Tuesday 1/18 (Service center was closed 1/17 for MLK). Got the same story as above (they needed to ship 3 parts, but one was on backorder) and they scheduled a service call for Thurs 1/27.

First two parts - a new evap coil and an in-line drier arrived Wed 1/19. The third - a new fan shroud arrived Fri 1/21.

This morning the tech arrived and confirmed that there was a leak in the coil. He said that he's only serviced 10 or so of these units so far and every one has needed the coil replaced. He discharged the system, unsoldered the old coil, soldered the new one in and re-charged it. I asked about the drier and he said he doesn't usually replace them - not worth the trouble in his opinion. He also didn't swap out the fan shroud, but I didn't see any difference there anyway.

Unit is working now. For how long, I don't know...

joshtp

Reaction score
I installed the GE GeoSpring GEH50DNSRSA on 11/29/10, and I just got the same F-C failure code today, 7/25/11. I called the number, and they said I should expect 2-3 packages, and have scheduled a tech visit for 7/29/11. For reference the manufacturing date is 11/2009.

Update: The parts came on 7/27/11, two days after calling GE. The parts were "FILTER DRYER" (WS86X10001), "KIT FAN SHROUD, GASKET" (WS35X10061), and "EVAPORATOR ASM" (WS85X10002). You can see pictures of the water heater label and these three parts here: http://preview.tinyurl.com/3maoy72. GE gave a reminder call on 7/28/11, and the tech showed up around 10:30AM on 7/29/11. He finished after 1.5 hours. He said that he's done this fix several times, and he's getting better/faster with every one, so it seems this is a common problem. Hopefully it's just a design problem with the original evaporators and there's a new design they're using for repairs.

Last edited:

JB_3

Reaction score
Good luck on your fix. I'll post an update on mine now that 6 months have passed...

My unit must have been leaking from the factory. Between the time it was installed and the time I got the code and had the evap coil replaced, the cooling fans almost always ran on high. The compressor would kick on, then you would hear the fan speed step up a few times over the next 30 seconds or so. Even though the unit is in an enclosed, insulated room in the basement, the fan noise was loud enough to hear upstairs if the house was quiet and definitely loud enough to be noticable as soon as you opened the basement door. I always attributed it to the fact that I'm a bit under the minimum recommended limit size for an enclosed closet.

Since the coil was replaced and the unit recharged, the fan has never stepped above the first or second speed. You can barely hear it running even if you are just outside the closed door. I never hear it in the rest of the basement or upstairs. It's really no louder than a refrigerator, which is what I was expecting/hoping for when I originally purchased it. 6 months later I'm glad my coil went out as quick as it did so I could get it serviced and running right.

joshtp

Reaction score
It's been fixed. I've also put the below text in my original posting:

The parts came on 7/27/11, two days after calling GE. The parts were "FILTER DRYER" (WS86X10001), "KIT FAN SHROUD, GASKET" (WS35X10061), and "EVAPORATOR ASM" (WS85X10002). You can see pictures of the water heater label and these three parts here: http://preview.tinyurl.com/3maoy72. GE gave a reminder call on 7/28/11, and the tech showed up around 10:30AM on 7/29/11. He finished after 1.5 hours. He said that he's done this fix several times, and he's getting better/faster with every one, so it seems this is a common problem. Hopefully it's just a design problem with the original evaporators and there's a new design they're using for repairs.

benatwhodotnet

HVAC Tech, Chemist
Reaction score
Website
AZBen.Blogspot.com
Installer code

I read a lengthy post on JustAnswer.com and found the installer code you need for FULL ACCESS to the GEH50DNSRSA menu options, including Diagnostic and Fault History. The code is "FILTER", "LOCK", "VACATION".

You're welcome.

Ben

Plminviking

Reaction score
Ben,
I tried the key sequence you mentioned, nothing happened. I tried holding all 3 keys together. Still nothing. Please help.

Thx Pat

Dobbs

Reaction score
Hybrid HPF Code F-C

I installed the GE GeoSpring GEH50DNSRSA on 11/29/10, and I just got the same F-C failure code today, 7/25/11. I called the number, and they said I should expect 2-3 packages, and have scheduled a tech visit for 7/29/11. For reference the manufacturing date is 11/2009.

Update: The parts came on 7/27/11, two days after calling GE. The parts were "FILTER DRYER" (WS86X10001), "KIT FAN SHROUD, GASKET" (WS35X10061), and "EVAPORATOR ASM" (WS85X10002). You can see pictures of the water heater label and these three parts here: http://preview.tinyurl.com/3maoy72. GE gave a reminder call on 7/28/11, and the tech showed up around 10:30AM on 7/29/11. He finished after 1.5 hours. He said that he's done this fix several times, and he's getting better/faster with every one, so it seems this is a common problem. Hopefully it's just a design problem with the original evaporators and there's a new design they're using for repairs.

I also have HPF code F-C & your info is very useful. Was this covered under warranty, if not how much did it cost ? I bought the unit about 14 months ago. Sonnds like w/ the number of failures it should be completely covered.

dangel235

Reaction score
I purchased the same water heater in Sep 2010. Tonight, while trouble shooting another plumbing problem I noticed the error code F-C and the unit indicated a heat pump failure. It's probally been failed for months and I didn't notice. My electric bill jumped up significantly in the last few months. The info on this thread is very useful - I think there is a trend here and GE should fix this at no cost. I'll be calling them on Monday to schedule a service call.

twcarlson

Reaction score
Ben,
I tried the key sequence you mentioned, nothing happened. I tried holding all 3 keys together. Still nothing. Please help.

Thx Pat

You first have to get to a menu option that is protected. Try to select Component Status or Faults (not sure about the exact menu names) and it will tell you that this is for service technicians only. It is then that you press and release, one by one, FILTER, then LOCK, then VACATION OR AWAY. It should let you into the menu.

kle

Reaction score
You first have to get to a menu option that is protected. Try to select Component Status or Faults (not sure about the exact menu names) and it will tell you that this is for service technicians only. It is then that you press and release, one by one, FILTER, then LOCK, then VACATION OR AWAY. It should let you into the menu.

I have not been able to find a way to get to the protected menu - no Component Status or Faults options come up. Can you give me step by step instructions to get to the correct place?

thanks

pwagner3md

Reaction score
I installed a GE GeoSpring GEH50DNSRSA on 1Aug2012 and I think the compressor might have failed. I run it in hybrid mode and have noticed it using alot of watts(4500) on my energy monitor (TED5000) over the past few days which is'nt normal. I have looked at the Diag menu (with code FILTER,LOCK,VACATION) and have no error codes, but wanted to turn ON DETECTION but this requires a different 4 button code? Any ideas? Was also woundering what the five sensors T2,T3a,T3b,T4,T5 are measuring. I think T2 = tank water temp. Any help would be apreciated. Thanks

BC1

Reaction score
I installed a GE GeoSpring GEH50DNSRSA on 1Aug2012 and I think the compressor might have failed. I run it in hybrid mode and have noticed it using alot of watts(4500) on my energy monitor (TED5000) over the past few days which is'nt normal. I have looked at the Diag menu (with code FILTER,LOCK,VACATION) and have no error codes, but wanted to turn ON DETECTION but this requires a different 4 button code? Any ideas? Was also woundering what the five sensors T2,T3a,T3b,T4,T5 are measuring. I think T2 = tank water temp. Any help would be apreciated. Thanks

My heater has now gone out for the second time in 2 1/2 years. New parts came today with a different evaporator that was installed the first time. The heater will automatically switch to the heating elements when it starts to go out. I would reset it to eHeat mode and turn up the temp. to hasten the F-C code you will be getting. This still took a month and a half. GE won"t do anything until the code shows up. They are covering the labor this time also even though the year for free labor is up so I figure this is a problem with them.

BaronVonSchnowzer

Reaction score
Thanks to those who supplied helpful info above so I knew somewhat to expect. Since this thread has been inactive, I though I'd post and let any anyone with the issue today know what to expect today. I also got the F-C code. Mine was manufactured in 2011, installed in 2013 and failed in 2016 (3.5 years after install). I called the 888 number and supplied the code and SN and MN. They said the next service appointment was 2 weeks out and I took it. She said as a "One time courtesy" they would cover the repair. I asked if that was labor and parts and she said yes. No mention of shipping parts to me. The technician must be bringing them. I said I had seen a lot of discussion on this failure in forums and was that why they covered it? She said it was because they would be using an improved replacement part, so I take that basically as yes.

Sum3

Reaction score
I have not been able to find a way to get to the protected menu - no Component Status or Faults options come up. Can you give me step by step instructions to get to the correct place?

thanks

To get to the Component Status menu, click on the ENERGY MENU button, then press ENTER. Then scroll (down arrow 3 times) to Diagnostics Menu. Press ENTER, and you will see Component Status and other menus. At least some of these will ask for a Passcode which is when you enter, "FILTER", "LOCK", "VACATION".

In my case, I was getting the F-C error after a power outage. In the Diagnostics Menu, I selected Clear All Faults (scroll down 3) and entered the passcode. The error was cleared, the unit self tested the evaporation fans, and is now running fine without need of any service.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks