Derating Confusion

Users who are viewing this thread

Chefwong

Reaction score
9CC being the max, is the CC only the Hot or also the Neutral when taking this into equation.

I've got 8-9 Hots of 12AWG, and a pair of #10 (G and N) going from a transfer switch back to a panel.
AND Then, I just came across this derating issue...

So to be complaint, it looks like instead of the 1" I was planning to run, I should run two 3/4 Back to the Panel and then split the lines from the transfer going back via 2 conduits.

Last edited:

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
You would derate all conductor to 70% which would mean that you would need a #2 neutral

Just what kind of generator are you connecting to your home?

kenwalkerconst

Reaction score
I'm not sure I'm understanding the question in the first place but the two line legs of 110V carry the current and have a canceling effect with the neutral carrying the imbalance. Think about you service entrance cable, TWO line legs with ONE neutral. Theoretically if you could balance both line legs you would not need the neutral. That what causes wierd things to happen when you "loose the neutral". Large 110V items on one leg like a refigerator comes on and light bulbs blow that are connected to the other leg. The refigerator drags down the voltage to say 50V on one line leg causing the other leg to see the imbalance of ( 220V less 50V = ) 170V.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks