Bell Gossett Red Circ Pump Flange Leak

Users who are viewing this thread

JerseyShore

Reaction score
BGPump.jpg

Hi... I have an old Bell and Gossett red circulator pump for our baseboard heating system. Pump is old, but runs fine. As you can see, ump is vertically mounted.

Despite having two plumbers change gaskets, the lower flange gasket still seeps and leaks. Last week, I paid $168 for a plumber to change both gaskets. The upper gasket is fine, but after a week, the lower gasket has developed seepage and small droplets of water are beginning to appear. I tighted the bolts as much as I could.

Both gaskets are not BG OEM, I noticed on **** the BG pump comes with a heavier black gasket.

This has been driving me crazy for a number of years, so I would appreciate any advice on how to deal with this annoying problem.

Thanks!

Last edited:

JerseyShore

Reaction score
Last edited:

JerseyShore

Reaction score
Today I placed an order for B&G Series 100 gasket set 118363.

I am looking for a NEW plumber to do some 2013 projects, so I will replace the wrong gaskets with these. Ouch! Live and learn!

Thanks once again!!!

Last edited:

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
That's a b&g 100 and they didn't have the recessed gaskets. If the ones you have are leaking it's probably because they flange is not clean, cracked or misaligned. I have used hundreds of those gaskets over the years. They are not the problem

JerseyShore

Reaction score
That's a b&g 100 and they didn't have the recessed gaskets. If the ones you have are leaking it's probably because they flange is not clean, cracked or misaligned. I have used hundreds of those gaskets over the years. They are not the problem

Thanks for your reply....following up on MACPLUMB, I checked the B&G product info from MACPLUMB's State Supply link, the B&G site, and pulled up the gaskets from ****.....all state they are for the 100 Series? I watch plumbers to learn and the plumber wire brushed the mating surface, used pipe dope, looks aligned to me, and I saw the circular recess MACPLUMB is referring to.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The B&G 100 DOES have the groove for the ring gaskets, (it is in the pump's body, not the flange), just like most of their other ones. They do not use face gaskets like the ones that were used here. THe problem with face gaskets is that they need perfectly flat surfaces to seal, but tightening the bolts on those thin flanges can "warp" them.

Last edited:

JerseyShore

Reaction score
The B&G 100 DOES have the groove for the ring gaskets, (it is in the pump's body, not the flange), just like most of their other ones. They do not use face gaskets like the ones that were used here. THe problem with face gaskets is that they need perfectly flat surfaces to seal, but tightening the bolts on those thin flanges can "warp" them.

One last question.... should pipe dope be used on the metal flanges?
Thanks

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
No need to use pipe dope. Just be sure that the flange is clean.

John

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks