Users who are viewing this thread

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Things that don't go down a disposer

Never pour grease or fat into a disposer.

Grease
Butter
Crab shells
Egg shells
Fruit pits
Bones
Rice
Starches
Celery
Corn husks
Artichokes)
Vegetable Peels

A good disposer can grind up small bones and pits, an old one, not so much.

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
I am guilty of egg shells, thank God, I don't use that many. But, a big but, on Thanksgiving, before company came, lol, I cleaned out my fridge and I dumped, a nearly, full box of cooked spiral rigatoni's down the disposal! The results were not good. People came and, I had a mess under the sink, pipes apart, a clog that was unreal. I guess this might be classified---starches? I got the clog out, got the pipes put back, um, almost, the way they were, lol. With the aide of a small bucket underneath, I am calling it good until, my plumber friend comes to visit. That is Cass by the way, lol. He will fix it, he always fixes my handi work.

NOW, I can tell you maybe, HOW to fix it, but, that surely, doesn't mean I CAN do it.... so, this stuff about giving away trade secrets, doesn't hold water.... maybe, I should take a picture under the sink to prove this, :) When, all else fails, tape it.

Should I quit my day job Terry, of selling & appraising Real Estate? :)

Attachments

• thanksgiving 011.jpg
    thanksgiving 011.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 337
Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
By the way, I love your picture! Is he a pet?

I love those. My husband and I once a discrepancy on those critters. At our camp, we would put food out to feed the racoons. So, I made up this plate and asked my hubby to go feed that nice looking kitty across the way. Now... mind you, I have used glasses since I was 13, and, his eyesight was not much better. lol. He obliged me as always, coming back looking all scraped up. In the dark, he tried to "pet" that nice kitty. :)

Last edited:

DavidSeon

Reaction score
No, that's just an old puppy crate behind her. They come up from the woods at night and make the rounds of the neighborhood scavenging for food. Rest of the family thinks they're creepy but they're actually quite shy and gentle and have never given us any trouble. They really will eat almost anything. We don't use the disposer any more than necessary; I'm getting too old to get on the roof and snake the drain, LOL.

Raccoons, though, are a different matter. They're very aggressive and determined to come through the pet door to raid the dog food.

Cookie

Reaction score
I heard if you put a mirror across from the doggie door, it will make the raccoons hesitate of coming back.

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
Poor acquaintance of mine, was helping her little boy change the water to their small fish tank, and, all the stones went down the disposal! The fish lived. :) Disposal didn't. :(

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks