old Radiator element, copper or steel?

Users who are viewing this thread

Andrew21

Reaction score
Hey guys,

My old radiator (or the element if thats the word) is old and corroded. Leaks are coming from both nuts and time for a change.

Here's the pic:
radiator.jpg

So I was able to get a replacement unit but there are 2 choices. One is copper, and the other is steel. Which one should I get? The steel is HEAVY. The reason why I'm asking is because the current one is 'floating'. The supply and the return lines are holding up the radiator from the floor with big bends in the pipe. I'm going to use the same pipe but of course remove the bends and use right angles to correct this.

Copper or steel? Also, there's a shut off on the old radiator. Do I need it for the old one?

Thanks guys!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Copper. You would have to make modifications for a steel element. Whether you need, or can even use, a shutoff valve depends on HOW the piping is done, NOT whether you want to shut it off or not. IF that element does NOT have a "cover" around it, it is not doing much heating.

Andrew21

Reaction score
Copper. You would have to make modifications for a steel element. Whether you need, or can even use, a shutoff valve depends on HOW the piping is done, NOT whether you want to shut it off or not. IF that element does NOT have a "cover" around it, it is not doing much heating.

Thanks HJ. Dad and i will go with copper. We want to do the same exact thing.
THe cover is there. Just had to take it off for now.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
What you had there is a convector which you can still get from beacon Morris

Andrew21

Reaction score
What you had there is a convector which you can still get from beacon Morris

Thanks Tom. That brings new light on the research. We do have Blackman plumbing where they have everything as well. Dad picked up the steel cause he thought steel was better but its heavy as hell. He's going to exchange it for copper tomorrow. The only thing he's set on are the nuts that tighten or loosen the entire assembly. He wants to replicate the same thing when we do this job, but I'm thinking to just solder it and call it a day. No need to take this off and back on again.

Andrew21

Reaction score
Ok got the copper convector. Man is that much lighter than the steel! Have the fittings and everything. Thanks all!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks