Natural gas shutoff for built in stove

Users who are viewing this thread

JMingrone

Reaction score
Can the gas shutoff for a stove be located below the floor, in the basement? There is easy access there.

I ask the question because the alternative is to come up through an adjacent base cabinet (from below), install a shutoff inside the cabinet, take a horizontal turn and exit out of the cabinet to the stove.

It would be simpler to just come up through the floor behind the stove.

Thanks,

Jay

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Code requires it (I think) to be in the same room. Now, when I had mine installed, I had the guy put in one above, and one below the floor where it was easier to get to.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
You can't get away with putting it below. The issue of in the same room...ACCESSIBLE......is a mostly overlooked requirement, I supposed since it is so hard to achieve. I guess they figure it is accessible even if you have to pull the stove out while it is on fire!!!!

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
You can't get away with putting it below. The issue of in the same room...ACCESSIBLE......is a mostly overlooked requirement, I supposed since it is so hard to achieve. I guess they figure it is accessible even if you have to pull the stove out while it is on fire!!!!
sometimes, like in this case I wonder what they had in mind to do when they wrote the code for this. I like Jim's solution, so you can shut it off in an emergency (or just for convenience).

Then again, as I live in a Ranch style house, I think my basement would be the last place I would run to if my oven was on fire, lol. I'd rather run outside with my family, and pets. Having to pull the Range unit away to access the gas shut off if/when it is on fire.

Big2bird

IBEW Electrician
Reaction score
I keep an earthquake wrench on my gas valve at the meter. In case of fire, I am heading there first. You want to kill the whole house anyhow, and it's outside.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I keep an earthquake wrench on my gas valve at the meter. In case of fire, I am heading there first. You want to kill the whole house anyhow, and it's outside.
Sounds good. Living in the NY Metro area, I never heard of an Earthquake valve; WOW.

I do not have natural gas in my neighborhood anyway; I wish I did though so I could chose whether to stay with oil heat that I have, or switch over to gas.

Bsperr

Reaction score
Could you just install a valve on the gas pipe as it comes up through the floor behind your stove (there should be a recess in the back of the stove for this purpose)? If clearance is an issue, you could also install a valve box behind the stove and run your pipe in the wall.

gas-outlet-box.jpg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Could you just install a valve on the gas pipe as it comes up through the floor behind your stove (there should be a recess in the back of the stove for this purpose)? If clearance is an issue, you could also install a valve box behind the stove and run your pipe in the wall.

View attachment 18200

This is the more normal situation. Hassle is, as has been said, if you do have a fire, it's not where you could get to it easy. Of course, you should just go outside if it's on fire. But, even if it's only for maintenance, to preclude maybe pinching something or tearing it off, or having the metal in the hose crack, I liked the option of having it turned off before moving. Some people put it in the cabinet next to the stove, but if your cabinets are like mine, emptying it so you could get to the valve isn't really a good option, either. Plus, I'm not keen on having stuff bump it from within the cabinet, either, but it does meet code.

JMingrone

Reaction score
All good stuff.
My cabinets just arrived, so I have the luxury of actually looking at and measuring clearances rather than going by catalogue numbers. The cabinet immediately to the right of the slide-in, built-in stove is a 15 inch wide trash dispenser. When the slide-out is fully slid IN, there's 1-3/4" clearance between the trash pail and the inside wall of the cabinet. That's enough room to run a pipe vertically up into the cab with a shutoff installed in the vertical stub. From there, we'll run a horizontal rigid pipe out to the left, terminated with whatever fitting the flex pipe needs. So no flex where it can get banged, and nothing but the drawer to get out of the way to access the shutoff. There's enough of a dead space behind the stove to run a loop of flex to slide the stove in and out, so I think all is well. May put a shutoff in the basement to.

Thanks, Jay

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
In the title, you call it a "built in" stove, but in the last posting you refer to "sliding the range in and out". A built in, (or 400# cast iron), stove is NOT portable which is why the valve would have to be in the adjacent cabinet.

JMingrone

Reaction score
hj: it's a true "built-in" stove with a dress flange that sits on top of the granite countertop. On installation, we'll "slide" it in after connecting the flex supply (hopefully without munching up the flex).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks