Neutral

Users who are viewing this thread

ShockHazard

Reaction score
Installed a potters kiln today, 10.5kw, but only split phased (220v).

I have a red and black hot, green ground, but being the device doesn't receive a neutral, should I disregard it or match it to the ground?

What is the general rule of neutral coming in contract with ground?

Why would a 10.5kw device be single phase in the first place?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Installed a potters kiln today, 10.5kw, but only split phased (220v).

I have a red and black hot, green ground, but being the device doesn't receive a neutral, should I disregard it or match it to the ground?

What is the general rule of neutral coming in contract with ground?

Why would a 10.5kw device be single phase in the first place?

The pro electricians will answer up. I am pretty sure the neutral should ONLY ever contact ground at the main panel.

Most residences, and small commercial properties, are just wired for single phase 220. Plenty of residences that have for example a 60 amp electric heat air handler, on single phase.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
220/240 v. power is "single phase", not "split phased". If the building only has single phase, then that is how the kiln must be wired. In order to be "three phase" the building would have to be served with three phase power. Then the unit would either need two elements with the "center" leg carrying about 1.75 times the amperage of either element, or multiples of three elements wired so all legs carried the same amperage. Without a 120 v. function the neutral is not needed and should be capped and disregarded.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
IF the unit has both 120 and 240 functions, it will need the neutral, otherwise, no. Sometimes, like in a stove, there will be a 120vac light, maybe some controls, and possibly a receptacle, so it will need a neutral but the heating elements would be fed from 240vac. No idea on your new kiln whether it needs 120vac and therefore a neutral - it should be clearly spelled out in their installation instructions or be obvious at the junction box where you connect things.

ShockHazard

Reaction score
IF the unit has both 120 and 240 functions, it will need the neutral, otherwise, no. Sometimes, like in a stove, there will be a 120vac light, maybe some controls, and possibly a receptacle, so it will need a neutral but the heating elements would be fed from 240vac. No idea on your new kiln whether it needs 120vac and therefore a neutral - it should be clearly spelled out in their installation instructions or be obvious at the junction box where you connect things.

It does have a low voltage electronic control panel, but I don't know it's input voltage.

___

So, neutral was capped and kiln works fine.

ShockHazard

Reaction score
220/240 v. power is "single phase", not "split phased". If the building only has single phase, then that is how the kiln must be wired. In order to be "three phase" the building would have to be served with three phase power. Then the unit would either need two elements with the "center" leg carrying about 1.75 times the amperage of either element, or multiples of three elements wired so all legs carried the same amperage. Without a 120 v. function the neutral is not needed and should be capped and disregarded.

Maybe I'm using the phrase wrong.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Split-phase_electric_power

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I ( amateur electrical knowledge) have not seen the term split phase used like that. The sparkies will tell us if the industry and/or the electrical code uses that term. Anyway, we are talking about the same thing, whether we call it split or single

ActionDave

Electrician
Reaction score
With a few rare exceptions all power in North America is either single phase or three phase.

True Split phase power was part of era when electrical power systems were first designed.

Big2bird

IBEW Electrician
Reaction score
The only time you will hear split phase is regarding small motors with windings/capacitors that actually split the phase.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks