Install Drake II questions on steps in write-up

Users who are viewing this thread

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The magic here is you must tighten the nuts evenly, and only just until things touch (or a hair less). It also helps if you hold the tank straight while tightening so the gap to each point stays the same as much as possible - starting out crooked can be problematic. Porcelain has no spring, and if you try to go beyond touching, you can crack things. There's a very slight amount of give because of the rubber washer, but not much!

Because I don't do it often, I'll use thick strips of paper between the contact points (say 24# copy paper), and stop when I start to feel friction when trying to pull it out. This means there's all of a few thousands of an inch clearance, and I've not gone too far.

piezomot

Reaction score
The magic here is you must tighten the nuts evenly, and only just until things touch ...

I would like to confirm that I still do have the same issue as it was described by me earlier and was described by LordManDude. If you follow this advice above and use this so called magic, then toilet would crack. This is a manufacturing defect. I am using small eraser to fill the gap.
IMG_1280.JPG

In-spite of this problem I will buy the second Toto Drake II toilet for my second bathroom next year as this is the best toilet I ever had!

piezomot

Reaction score
I just purchased and installed my second Toto Drake II. I have the same problem, but now I have to insert extra piece of rubber in all tree contact points to prevent tank from moving. Without the rubber ring, the tank sits perfectly on all three contact points. P4165330s.JPG

Last edited:

piezomot

Reaction score
I started to investigate what is the root of the problem here. It looks like water tank is made in USA:P4165331s.JPG

piezomot

Reaction score
But the toilet is made in China! It looks like Chinese toilet C454CEFG#01 and USA ST454E#01 tank do not match very well...
P4165327s.JPG

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
When the tank "nub" will not touch in the back, it is because you started tightening with the tank leaning forward a bit. If you were to put a level across the top of the tank, I believe you will find it is not parallel to the bowl from front to back.

The sealing washer is compressible. It is designed to compress when the bolts are tightened down. If the tank is not sitting parallel to the bowl when you start tightening, it pinches the seal more on one side than the other. The tank should be centered and level when you start tightening the bolts or it might never reach 3 points of contact before it breaks.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
While it can be disconcerting...the tank can be tightened so it makes contact. Since porcelain is not elastic, you cannot overdo it or it will break. That's why I (since I don't do it often) like to use a sheet of thick paper underneath the contact points and stop when you can still just pull it out, leaving a few thousandths clearance. A half-turn each side until you get close is all I like to do, so that the tank essentially stays even. You can crack things if you tighten one side , then go to the other. Slow and easy and evenly is the key. Your solution will work, but should be unnecessary. Toto has some of the tightest manufacturing tolerances in the industry, and it should not make any difference where the parts come from.

piezomot

Reaction score
When the tank "nub" will not touch in the back, it is because you started tightening with the tank leaning forward a bit. If you were to put a level across the top of the tank, I believe you will find it is not parallel to the bowl from front to back.

The sealing washer is compressible. It is designed to compress when the bolts are tightened down. If the tank is not sitting parallel to the bowl when you start tightening, it pinches the seal more on one side than the other. The tank should be centered and level when you start tightening the bolts or it might never reach 3 points of contact before it breaks.

No this theory is not correct, I went to the local plumber shop dupontplumbing.com (not the one where I purchased my TOTO toilet) and examined TOTO Drake II toilet on display there- it has the same issue, it will rock. I spoke to shop owner named Frank and he told me that he did not noticed it and it is interesting observation...

I think all of these Chinese units has smaller diameter of inlet hole for the toilet water tank flange. I do not care about it as there is no water leak and water tank would not rock now...But the toilet itself is great.

Wptski

Retired Machine Repairman
Reaction score
Toto has some of the tightest manufacturing tolerances in the industry, and it should not make any difference where the parts come from.
That may be but unless I'm wrong, it's been stated here several times that Toto toilets are made in the USA. Labeling as having high US standards manufactured elsewhere is very common.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
That may be but unless I'm wrong, it's been stated here several times that Toto toilets are made in the USA. Labeling as having high US standards manufactured elsewhere is very common.

SOME Toto stuff is made in the USA. Some are made both here and overseas.
TOTO is not an American company, nor are all of it's components made here.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Based on what I've heard Terry say, and other's experiences reported on this site (and mine, too)...he's not had any trouble mating tanks/bowls made in different countries with Toto. And, the colors match, too. That's what I was saying about QA/QC...they have it. Toto does make a bunch of toilets in Georgia, but depending on sales, weather, shipping, and probably other things, they bring supplies in from where ever they need to to try to meet demands. Most of their toilets that use the Unifit adapter are made here (at least for the US consumption), and some other models, but it's not a certainty you'll get one made in the USA. One of the big things with any porcelain product is the amount it shrinks from when cast to once dried and then fired. Most companies pour their slip into the molds...Toto uses a much drier mix and almost packs it in. Starting out with less moisture means it has less chance to slump and shrinks less. This keeps things like trapways the design shape and helps things stay nice and flat and level. Nothing's perfect, but their technique works.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks