Recommendations on Acid Neutralizers

Users who are viewing this thread

Wvaleries

Reaction score
We currently have a Water Right Sanitizer Plus Series water softener in our 2-3 bath house. Our water was tested recently and the ph level was 6.5, iron 3.5, and hardness 12. We've been told that we need a 1.5 cu ft acid neutralizer installed. I have several questions. Does it matter what brand (any recommendations - we'd like to keep costs down as much as possible)? Calcite vs. mixed bed? Is this something that we can install ourselves? Thanks for any help you can give!

Bob999

Reporter
Reaction score
A backwashing filter with a Fleck 7000 control head is my recommendation. With pH of 6.5 Calcite (only) is indicated.

I recommend at least 2 cubic ft of media and 2.5 is preferred for higher flow rates provided your well/pump can provide the required backwash rate.

Installation involves making the plumbing connections (prior to the softener) for inlet, outlet, and a drain connection. You also need an outlet for the control-Time Clock is appropriate for AN filters.

Here is one internet supplier (there are many others) so you can see a representative range of sizes/prices along with required backwash rates:

http://www.ohiopurewater.com/shop/customer/home.php?cat=212

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
I second Bob's motion. Good to see another 7000 fan on board. It's become the only valve I stock anymore.

6266aew

Reaction score
Website
www.midatlanticwater.net
13x54 acid neutralizer

we currently have a water right sanitizer plus series water softener in our 2-3 bath house. Our water was tested recently and the ph level was 6.5, iron 3.5, and hardness 12. We've been told that we need a 1.5 cu ft acid neutralizer installed. I have several questions. Does it matter what brand (any recommendations - we'd like to keep costs down as much as possible)? Calcite vs. Mixed bed? Is this something that we can install ourselves? Thanks for any help you can give!

your better off going with a 13x54 acid neutralizer you will get better contact timee with the media during peak water usage and you wont have to svc it as odten as the 10x54 unit

aidan
mid atlantic water
888 299 7479
www?midatlanticwater?net

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Ah the rite of initiation. All must pass the scrutiny of The Lord of filtration before offering advice. Lol.
Ignore him 6266 or forever be drawn into the never ending cycle of abuse.

However the answer to the question is............ Big enough lol

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Agreed, but... to answer the question...

Calcite should be backwashed at 8-12 GPM per Sq. Ft. of bed area. A 13" diameter tank would therefore require approximately 10 GPM to properly backwash.

πr² / Sq. Ft. x recommended backwash rate
6.5 x 6.5 x 3.14 / 144 x 10 = 9.2 GPM

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
The fact is that many residential submersible or jet pumps are not capable of that flow rate. And anyone offering advice to someone about the size of heavy mineral filters should mention the flow rates required to backwash the size of the filter they suggest, or sell. The well must be capable of delivering that gpm for the total length of time of the backwash and then just a minute or so later the gpm for the rinse cycle. Some wells will not be able to do that. And the larger the filter, the longer the backwash and rinse positions run for and you can get into a couple hundred gallons in just 20-30 minutes. A 6" diameter well has 1.47 gal per foot of water in it. That's from the static water level down to the inlet to the pump, not the total depth of the well.

And good buddy Tommy, that helps the guy avoid failed equipment and having call backs and unhappy customers.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks