Pressure Testing & Cleanouts

Users who are viewing this thread

PeteSC

Reaction score
I pressure tested my DWV system yesterday for leaks using a test plug and filling the drain lines with water to flood level of the highest fixture. There were a few drips from two cleanouts in the system - would Teflon tape around the cleanout plug get rid of that? Is it even something to bother with?

Thanks.

Big2bird

IBEW Electrician
Reaction score
A retired plumber told me to use wax from a cheap wax gasket. Not only does it seal, but it screws in and out rather nicely.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
They are not under pressure, unless the drain is clogged, so you don't really have to worry about them. Testing is usually done to 10' above the floor, not the flood line of the fixtures.

PeteSC

Reaction score
They are not under pressure, unless the drain is clogged, so you don't really have to worry about them. Testing is usually done to 10' above the floor, not the flood line of the fixtures.

Thanks. I've understood that a little drip from the cleanout wasn't anything to fret over but in the end it really comes down to what my inspector wants to see. Same for the pressure test - inspector instructed me to test it to the flood level of the highest fixture, so that's what was done.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks