Where is the smell coming from??????

Users who are viewing this thread

Royerm

Reaction score
I currently have a Greenway (Sanitizer) system which has CR-100 zeolite and KDF-85
in a 10x54 tank with a Clack valve.

I'm now back to the original problem which is .....If I open a tap, the water has NO smell for 40 ounces than I get a smell for the next 40 ounces
and than OK for as long as I draw water. And this scenario repeats itself very constantly.

Somehow these media works, otherwise I would get a constant smell just like before I added the KDF ????

No slime in toilet tank.

I'd like to get and understand the origin of the smell....before I get to any modification.

Regards.

Royerm

Reaction score
I currently have a Greenway (Sanitizer) system which has CR-100 zeolite and KDF-85
in a 10x54 tank with a Clack valve.

I'm now back to the original problem which is .....If I open a tap, the water has NO smell for 40 ounces than I get a smell for the next 40 ounces
and than OK for as long as I draw water. And this scenario repeats itself very constantly.

Somehow these media works, otherwise I would get a constant smell just like before I added the KDF ????

No slime in toilet tank.

I'd like to get and understand the origin of the smell....before I get to any modification.

Regards.

I'll repost to see if anyone has an idea....Thx

Royerm

Reaction score
What do you mean back to the original problem?

What does the odor smell like?

Is it in the cold water, hot water or both?

Are you on your own well or city water?

After putting the KDF-85 at the bottom as it was suppose to be
I'm back with with an intermittent H2S smell as explained in original message.
It is on cold or hot water and any tap in the house, it is a well...
Thx

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
The rinse time of the softener could be a bit too short and running it a couple minutes longer might help; if yours is adjustable.

You can sanitize the softener with a 1/3 cup of non scented regular bleach and see if that stops the odor. Otherwise you could have a broken bladder in the pressure tank or bacteria growth in the plumbing past the softener.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
In order for KDF 85 to be effective, a certain quantity should be used, and the backwash rates of the system must be followed. If you are combining medias, it is unlikely that you are backwashing the media at the proper rate for KDF 85 to be effective. How many pounds did you put in? Check out this link, it has the tank diameter, qty, and backwash rates spelled out. The frequency is also important. When KDF is added to systems improperly, it is usually ineffective, and is done purely for marketing reasons. My own system has a large KDF tank, but it is done in the right size tank, the right amount, and it is backwashed properly, except for the frequency. I have been testing KDF for over 15 years, and I feel I am fairly good with using it. We sell 10's of thousands of pounds a year all over the world, unfortunately, the majority of it is misapplied. A small residential application should have approximately 57 pounds of KDF. Smaller amounts can be used depending on the contaminant removal and system design.

http://www.kdfft.com/success_hydrogen.htm
http://www.kdfft.com/images/kdf_POESheet.pdf

Royerm

Reaction score
The rinse time of the softener could be a bit too short and running it a couple minutes longer might help; if yours is adjustable.

You can sanitize the softener with a 1/3 cup of non scented regular bleach and see if that stops the odor. Otherwise you could have a broken bladder in the pressure tank or bacteria growth in the plumbing past the softener.

Rinse time has been doubled, 4min to 8 min.
This softener has a chlorinator on it.
Bladder is good, I have a small tank with a CSV valve by the way....

ByteMe

Semi-Pure awesomeness!
Reaction score
Try walking up to some strange lady and saying "Where is the smell coming from??????"

In here, perfectly acceptable.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Rinse time has been doubled, 4min to 8 min.
This softener has a chlorinator on it.
Bladder is good, I have a small tank with a CSV valve by the way....

The Sanitizer does not chlorinate the water though. It at best is supposed to keep the resin bed from bacteria colonization. In other words it does not treat your water in any way.

That 4 minutes was way to short and the 8 minutes could be a couple minutes too short but try it and see how things go.

Royerm

Reaction score
The Sanitizer does not chlorinate the water though. It at best is supposed to keep the resin bed from bacteria colonization. In other words it does not treat your water in any way.

That 4 minutes was way to short and the 8 minutes could be a couple minutes too short but try it and see how things go.

Agree with you that the chlorinator doesn't chlorinate the water and it's been on 8 minutes for 6 months...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks