Advice needed on bending lineset

Users who are viewing this thread

jfls49

Reaction score
I've pulled out an old 7/8" R-22 lineset and replacing with a 1 1/8" R-410A lineset. I'm running the new lineset myself and a local HVAC guy is going to complete the install of my new heat pump and air handler.

My first question involves bending the new lineset and installing the same method of the old: is there tool that the HVAC contractor will have to do the necessary 90 bend with the new lineset already in place in the ceiling? My thought is probably not so what about the 1 1/8 line being cut and 90 degree elbow used to bring the tube down toward where you see the old line going out through the cinderblock? I can notch out more of the hole to give more access for a brazing tip.

I am also considering running the 1 1/8" tube straight out the wall and have the bends on the outside of the house.

Thanks for any advice in advance.

Attachments

• DSC02504.jpg
    DSC02504.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 2,416
  • DSC02505.jpg
    DSC02505.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 2,319
  • DSC02509.jpg
    DSC02509.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 2,343
Last edited:

Nukeman

Nuclear Engineer
Reaction score
I've done this myself, but if you are getting a pro to install the rest, you might as well have him do the lineset as well. I can't imagine that it would add much to the cost. They do have tools to bend the lineset, but they may use an elbow instead, depending on how much room they have, etc. Another thing to remember is if you rolled out the soft copper, it will start to "work harden" as you mess with it and it will become difficult to bend.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I must say I am overwhelmed with all of the answers. Everyone must be busy getting ready for thanksgiving?

For what its worth, it looks like the end of that line is uncapped; not a good idea to let any debris fall into it:eek:

Last edited:

jfls49

Reaction score
That is the old lineset

I left it in the wall, if it was the new lineset we wouldn't be having this conversation

For what its worth, it looks like the end of that line is uncapped; not a good idea to let any debris fall into it:eek:

kyleanderson

Reaction score
our line set are cap and dry. outside air has water droplets and 410a and water is like electric and water, thay will mix but the out come isnt good. first of all looks like an old unit. the lineset did have a bend the last picture has the bend but isnt long enought and turned down, and the 1 1/8 line geo just what size unit do you have there? and there are tube benders for the soft copper that you have. any hvac man without one i cant see how he does most jobs. 7/8 in hard but 1 1/8. that do make spring look trick you slip over the tubing and bend and move bend and move i have some but never did use them to slow. I can see the old old timer filling with sand and bending the sand and bending, but a very bad idea. lol lol. I think you are going to have a troubled system and you will pay each and every month for the way its installed by the way of electric and break downs. I wish you the very best of luck sit.

TeXan

Reaction score
jfls
here is a nice link. if the bend is too sharp an elbow should be placed.
https://www.alpinehomeair.com/related/AC Installation Guide Update.pdf

I'm thinking of updating my furnace and AC also. mostly you just set the furnace in place and the A frame evaperator and then the line set.
the brazing / silver soldering maybe should be done by pro but I suspect they just have the right tools and a little experience.

Bending tool
http://www.homedepot.com/p/TEKTON-T...dbG25nXeHT_BYQwhgNkD4aAp5P8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

how to use tubing bender

bending spring
https://www.amazon.com/Spring-Tube-...&sr=8-3&keywords=copper+tubing+bending+spring

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
My question is why did you feel you have to increase it to 1 1/8"? What size is the liquid line? What is the approx. length from the A coil to the out compressor? What tonnage are you installing. I know this is not your question but in AC over sizing is not necessarily better. It states it in this .pdf file. Here is a easy to understand document in line sizing.
https://sunpump.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/attachments/6004330025

Have your AC guy do it. You cannot bend 1 1/8" that much to make 90* bends in tight or in a short span. The compressor and at the air handler will always will have elbows to to make the connections no matter what the size is. It's rare that the lines from the wall go straight into the AC connections.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks