Security for a laptop while traveling

Users who are viewing this thread

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Lets say I want to travel....with my laptop. If I am on the road for a few weeks, I would need to do things like make ( and pay for) hotels and rent-a-cars, do some on line banking , etc.
Is there any way to do this stuff in a secure manner, when internet access will be from free, unsecure wifi connections, such as at the hotel????

What do folks do?????

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Lets say I want to travel....with my laptop. If I am on the road for a few weeks, I would need to do things like make ( and pay for) hotels and rent-a-cars, do some on line banking , etc.
Is there any way to do this stuff in a secure manner, when internet access will be from free, unsecure wifi connections, such as at the hotel????

What do folks do?????

Unfortunately Jimbo there is no 100 % safe Wireless connection.

What OS does your laptop have ?

Do you have a Tunnel that you could use ?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Unfortunately Jimbo there is no 100 % safe Wireless connection.

What OS does your laptop have ?

Do you have a Tunnel that you could use ?

Windows 7 home premium. I run Nod32 a/v and use that firewall. I do have a wireless router at home. Use the desktop hardwired, and the laptops on the secure wireless.

Logan Tunnel? Holland Tunnel????

I am really trying to figure out if I can do secure computing somehow on the road.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
This is a good question.
I remember a time in Hawaii when I used my credit card for a sailboat trip. The next day I had a $500 cash withdrawal taken from my account in Mexico.

I was on the street, reading off my card number in what I know consider a shady part of Honolulu. It was the same street where I was walking back to the hotel and a payphone rang as we were walking by. Can you imagine what they were selling at that time of night?

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Windows 7 home premium. I run Nod32 a/v and use that firewall. I do have a wireless router at home. Use the desktop hardwired, and the laptops on the secure wireless.

Logan Tunnel? Holland Tunnel????

I am really trying to figure out if I can do secure computing somehow on the road.

The WinForce Tunnel would be the best.

You will be fine with that OS.

I would turn off automatic updates so your computer don't crash when most needed. Windows updates have a way of helping when you don't want help.

You may be better off using your smart phone , if it has Internet capability. Or a public library.

Wireless can be hacked, and as mentioned wired can also , if you are going thru a unknown router.

You can use your Windows Start/Run type "CMD" then type "Tracert 8.8.8.8" (or the IP of your choice) in the CMD window to find out your Network path.

If you do not trust the path, then you can try something different.

It is safest to stay home, in any case...

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks