These aren't shutoff valves! what are they?

Users who are viewing this thread

red_lover

Reaction score
I went under the sink to turn off the water supply and found these plastic-like connections that have a disk that I thought might be the shutoff but they just seem to freewheel forever. does anyone know what they are?

index.php

Last edited by a moderator:

Furd

Engineer
Reaction score
Yeah, they're shut off valves, el cheapo ones. You have to either pull or push the disk (in or out, I forget which) to shut them off or turn them on.

accor-old-stops.jpg

red_lover

Reaction score
REALLY? WOW I have never seen any like this! I guess I will try pulling first LOL. Thank you so much for your response Furd. You learn something new every day, especially when you buy a new house!

Furd

Engineer
Reaction score
If you get up real close it is spelled out on the disk to push or pull. I didn't know myself until about a month ago when my sister bought a new (to her) house and it has those funky valves only hers have the hose permanently fastened.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Your real fun will come when you have to replace those valves since they slide on easily, but do NOT like to slide off. I cannot imagine putting a metal compression nut on a plastic valve the way those seem to be assembled. I remove and replace a lot of those valves, but have NEVER installed one, nor would I.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yep and be gentle when you do shut hem off, they have a nasty habit of snapping off at the wall.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Your real fun will come when you have to replace those valves since they slide on easily, but do NOT like to slide off. I cannot imagine putting a metal compression nut on a plastic valve the way those seem to be assembled. I remove and replace a lot of those valves, but have NEVER installed one, nor would I.

The removal procedure is to PULL HARD AND TWIST.. they come off in about two full revolutions. There is no compression nut involved. They just push on like a shark. The do have a recess to allow you to leave the existing ferrule on...it just gets hidden in the shroud. And they recommend "burying" the original nut into the the drywall, and include a flat escutcheon to hide that.

Reaction score
I have these stupid things too...HELP!

Ok, so I have these under the kitchen sink. Replacing the faucet from a 2 handle to a 1 handle. The new faucet comes with supply lines and compression fittings that go directly to the hot and cold...except my plastic "knobs" already have supply lines coming from them. (Not the compression type.) Do these come off? What do I do now (besides call in a plumber!!)?

sink.jpg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Yes, the do come off (they are pushed on). Not sure how they release, if they do. You may need to cut them off. One of the pros will know. This has been discussed before: you may find it with the search function. If the gripper teeth score the pipe too much, you may only get a good seal if you solder on a new one.

Reaction score
Yes, the do come off (they are pushed on). Not sure how they release, if they do. You may need to cut them off. One of the pros will know. This has been discussed before: you may find it with the search function. If the gripper teeth score the pipe too much, you may only get a good seal if you solder on a new one.

I'm sorry, I meant do the SUPPLY lines come off? I really don't want to replace the whole shut off unless ABSOLUTELY needed.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The ends of you supply line are 1/2" female. Pick up a 3/8" compression x 1/2" brass adapter.
The small 3/8" side will work on the new faucet supplies and the 1/2" end will thread to the existing supply lines.

brass-mip-comp-1.jpg

brass-mip-comp-2.jpg

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Those valves I've heard, can get brittle and crack as they get old...it's not a bad idea to get rid of them. Your results may differ...

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
I have some of those seemingly cheap valves for 30 years in a house, without any issues. I know disasters happen fast, but they happen to the hoses even more often.

Has anyone had to go to a house where these valves exploded? They were US made and perhaps they used a good plastic with good quality control.

I think you could call these the original sharkbite concept.

daddybill13

Reaction score

What are they called so I can look them up anmd find out how to remove them properly and install decent shut offs?

jjosserand

Reaction score
Those are the pull to close type

I went under the sink to turn off the water supply and found these plastic-like connections that have a disk that I thought might be the shutoff but they just seem to freewheel forever. does anyone know what they are?

undersink1.jpg

undersink2.jpg

Should be written on the disk, but they pull to close.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks