Superstorm Sandy

Users who are viewing this thread

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I have a brother in Richmond VA and one who is 1/2 way between Baltimore and DC. Both were without power for a week or so after Irene, and expect similar in this case. They both have big trees in the yard, but dodged any damage to the houses that time. Looks like the worst of this one will be Delaware and north.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Lots of Wind, Lots of rain. Power went off briefly for a few minutes several times. 250,000 people on Long Island have no power right now, and the "Storm" is just about to make landfall in a few minutes. Low lying sections of Brooklyn, like Coney Island, etc. are in danger. All major NY Bridges were supposed to have closes at 4pm. Look at www.newsday.com for more info. To see current power outages on Long Island, you can look at http://www.lipower.org/stormcenter/outagemap.html to get an idea if you'd like.

As far as Virginia, I'm not sure, but DC has issued major warnings

http://www.cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_t1#/video/weather/2012/10/29/sot-obama-sandy.cnn

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
My brother works in DC.
He Facebooked that they last power for a little bit.

www.freakingnews.com
It's getting windy!

Attachments

• liberty_skirts.jpg
    liberty_skirts.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 1,019
Last edited:

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
no power now for 4 hours running this on UPS. Generator tomorrow.Almost 700,00 Long Islanders no power now :-(

Cookie

Reaction score
My son was in Maryland and was evacuated. He is back home safe and sound. We lost power but, it came back on within an hour. Bob, take care there.

Cookie

Reaction score
I am watching the NBC news special, and it amazes me, simply amazes me that people would not leave their houses, because they did not want to lose their house. Amazing. They would rather lose their life. And, I got cancer. I know that may not make sense to some of you reading this, but, I guess, unless, you are really challenged in fighting for your life, you have no idea how much it is worth. Everything! Walk, or run away, with your life. You can fix the house, replace the house, the car, whatever, but, their is only one of you. Much to some of my realtives chagrin, lol. I am here, until, I am 108.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I am watching the NBC news special, and it amazes me, simply amazes me that people would not leave their houses, because they did not want to lose their house. Amazing. They would rather lose their life. And, I got cancer. I know that may not make sense to some of you reading this, but, I guess, unless, you are really challenged in fighting for your life, you have no idea how much it is worth. Everything! Walk, or run away, with your life. You can fix the house, replace the house, the car, whatever, but, their is only one of you. Much to some of my realtives chagrin, lol. I am here, until, I am 108.
Power just came back on, but trees are down all over the place. No damage to my house, big relief!

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score

Cookie, you are actually right, but the reason most people do not evacuate their houses is not because the have doubt about the severity of damage, but because of the fair of the low-life scum sucking thieves that will take anything they can steal from them. It really sucks big time. :mad:
Please, you hang around until at least 108 to show those relatives of yours:eek:

Cookie

Reaction score
Glad, really, to see you are safe and sound. We got weak trees, too! I got loads of firewood, but, no fireplace. So, I stack it up front and let others take it.

On that special, a woman said, she wasn't going to leave her house due to she got lots of provisions; a generator, gasoline, and a boat in her livingroom.

No sense in staying to defend whatever, could be stolen, when, the loss could be much greater, your life. You can't take it with you. And, a boat in a hurricane? Nah... that won't work well. Neither will swimming.

I take great pride in succeeding in annoyance, stubborness,quirkness and, will outlast, outlive, the healthiest. :)

Last edited:

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score

Cookie

Reaction score
Terrible. I have a fireproof box where I have my insurance papers, marriage license, birth certificates, and certain pictures I would want not to be destroyed.

Last Christmas I got my son one. It's a thoughtful present for your loved ones, if they don't have one.

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
Close call Bob. That is one big tree. Did they find any bones under that tree? Like the one in Conn.

I had one 90 footer, and one 70 footer, both in the back area of my property, both pine, cut down a few years back. Directly, next to my house another large pine, about 60 ft, cut down. I try to manage the trees, thinking ahead of microbursts, storms, and tornadoes. I got 3 to go.

I think I anger the birds, because, they take it out on my car. I drive a poop mobile. :)

Last edited:

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Close call Bob. That is one big tree. Did they find any bones under that tree? Like the one in Conn.

I had one 90 footer, and one 70 footer, both in the back area of my property, both pine, cut down a few years back. Directly, next to my house another large pine, about 60 ft, cut down. I try to manage the trees, thinking ahead of microbursts, storms, and tornadoes. I got 3 to go.

I think I anger the birds, because, they take it out on my car. I drive a poop mobile. :)

No, birds have no respect Cookie; I have 5 bird feeders in the backyard, they still crap all over the place. Stupid birdbrains. They even crap all over the bird feeders. Why then do I feed them? Because they're pretty to look at.

THAT tree was 15 miles away from me, so not a close call. I have a huge twin Oak in front of the house that was twiting and bending like a palm tree in a hurricane, but miraculously, it did not break in half like the one around the corner from me did, and it is still laying there across the road. "Ambulance chaser" tree guys come talk to the home owners, but so far, no town crews or utility crews have come looked at it, and it is pulling down power, phone and cable lines to the ground. Somehow, they just stretched and did not snap.

Cookie

Reaction score
That guy with the tree was lucky that it didn't fall the other way. Looked like a tall tree, with roots that size. But, you were so lucky in that it was that bad and you didn't have damage I think, others did. Or did you have damage? Trees are great, but, sometimes, preventive measures are best. The two of mine up front weigh down the wires, that is why they are going, they have been pruned more than enough and one is kind of hollow in a spot. I will replace them with something which wont get that tall again.

Last edited:

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Terrible. I have a fireproof box where I have my insurance papers, marriage license, birth certificates, and certain pictures I would want not to be destroyed.

Last Christmas I got my son one. It's a thoughtful present for your loved ones, if they don't have one.

The fire safes are great, but they all have a rating for time in a fire that the contents will survive, depending on the material of the contents.

Besides that fact, even if the contents survived the fire, those scum-sucking looters will take the box thinking they contain valuables. The boxes would not survive those fires in Breezy Point, NY unless they had a multi-hour rating, I would think.

Here is a typical model we might purchase:
http://www.sentrysafe.com/Products/203/CS5481_Combination__FIRE-SAFE_

pricing:

http://www.costco.com/First-Alert-Ready-Seal™-Waterproof-Fire-Resistant-Safe.product.11731633.html ,

but Costco's First Alert has only a one hour rating, but the sentry safe model I listed has a 2 hour rating.

either one, those guys will take it away, even if it was bolted to the floor that is no longer there.

Me, a pessimist? MOI? Lol, yes! But I have a few of these boxes myself full of important papers anyway.:(

Cookie

Reaction score
Safe deposit boxes at the bank too, could be useful.

I look at things this way, Bob, you can only give it your best shot. Only so much you can do, and only so much you can try. The rest is the luck of the draw.

Today is Tim's birthday, my husband I lost, he would had been 57 today. I would give everything I own to have one more moment with him. So, you see, what really matters.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Safe deposit boxes at the bank too, could be useful.

I look at things this way, Bob, you can only give it your best shot. Only so much you can do, and only so much you can try. The rest is the luck of the draw.

Today is Tim's birthday, my husband I lost, he would had been 57 today. I would give everything I own to have one more moment with him. So, you see, what really matters.

Yes, I do know what really matters, and my wife and I discussed it yesterday that our lives and our health is what it is.

Happy Birthday Tim up in Heaven; Cookie misses you; keep smiling down on her and keep her safe.:D

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks