Proper way to test circuit safety

Users who are viewing this thread

Scubamam

Reaction score
We had OSHA inspectors enter our office and gave citation for unsafe outlet near a sink. They used a pen like device that lit up at the outlet. There was a GFCI outlet on the same circuit that they were unaware of. Did they properly test this circuit? Should they have used different testing devices? Our electrician said that all was done to code and circuit was fine. I need proof of incompetence on their part to win my case. Any help greatly appreciated!

klein-tool-voltage-tester-01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
AFAIK there is no code requirement to label a protected outlet but doing so can reduce such nuisance citations. The proper way to test a GFI circuit is with a GFI tester.

ST102A_App.jpg

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
We had OSHA inspectors enter our office and gave citation for unsafe outlet near a sink. They used a pen like device that lit up at the outlet. There was a gfci outlet on the same circuit that they were unaware of. Did they properly test this circuit? Should they have used different testing devices? Our electrician said that all was done to code and circuit was fine. I need proof of incompetence on their part to win my case. Any help greatly appreciated!

If you think you will prove incompetence on the part if an OSHA inspector, you have been smoking lefty luckies. The pen device was probably a simple voltage tester. Perhaps he found hot/neutral reversed, but most likely is just hitting up on GFI protection. Just find out exactly what was unsafe, and have your electrician fix it.

Scubamam

Reaction score
The electrician already came and said all was to code. We made him change all outlets anyway because we were forced to make immediate change.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, is this sink in a bathroom, or say a lunch area? If in a bathroom, and the refrigerator was in another room, that would be against code. If in the same room (say a lunch room), it should be okay, but it's generally a poor practice to run the frig and potentially a high current device (say someone plugged in a coffee maker) on the same circuit - it might overload the circuit, and if it tripped the GFCI behind the frig, it could be a big pain to reset, not counting the potential to lose anything that might be in there if nobody noticed quickly.

But, as long as it is GFCI protected, it should be fine (assumig the GFCI is working).

Scubamam

Reaction score
Yes it is a lunchroom and the gfci outlet is in clear sight just to the left of the refrigerator also very near the sink in question. Thanks for all of your help! I also pushed the button on this and had no power near the sink.

ActionDave

Electrician
Reaction score
Instructions for testing GFCI devices come in the box they are wrapped in. There may be a copy on one of the manufactures web site. I'm sure if you contacted Cooper of Leviton they would be able to help you.

The inspector did not test the receptacle properly. The only true test is the test button on the device.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
action dave..... of course you are correct, but what do you think about OP's plan to "contest" the dig he got from OSHA???

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
qutoe;of course you are correct, but what do you think about OP's plan to "contest" the dig he got from OSHA

Well, he can appeal it and probably win, but he had better hope that same inspector does not do the next inspection, because it will be done with a "fine tooth comb".

ActionDave

Electrician
Reaction score
action dave..... of course you are correct, but what do you think about OP's plan to "contest" the dig he got from OSHA???
The inspector is wrong. I would not start a conversation with him saying so, but I would contest the fine- calmly and politely. If he would not remove the fine I would move up the food chain to his boss.

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
There has been no clear description of what the OSHA inspector did, what he tested and how, what the alleged
infraction was, what the actual situation was at the time, or much else. Surely the OSHA inspector left some sort
of written notice? To say a GFCI device was "on the same circuit" is pretty much meaningless. Even if there was
a GFCI present and wired correctly to protect the receptacle in question, it may have failed, as we all know electrical
devices sometimes do. With no facts, there can be no answers!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
All a "pen like device" can do is test for the presence of electricity. It CANNOT test for a GFCI circuit, CANNOT test a GFCI device, but CAN test for polarity if the user know what he is doing, which in this case may be suspect.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Next time you have a inspection take the OSHA inspector out to lunch.

A OSHA inspector is never wrong.

Just like the Boss...

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
1. The OSHA inspector is never wrong
2. When the OSHA inspector is wrong, see #1.

That is exactly what I was thinking.

The inspector most likely was testing polarity using a neon tester.

They do work with only 1 connection. (The Human Body is the "test" return path)

If polarity is reversed then the GFCI should trip if any load is put on that outlet. (Given the Ground is properly connected in the outlet.)

Without a GFCI the outlet could be a hazard. I think it could be wired wrong. No reason for the inspector to look like a DA, Chances are they will prove their case. They will Win for sure.

The Outlet should be Marked with a circuit number and GFCI warning but it is not always required by code.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks