Strange ceiling fan

Users who are viewing this thread

Rayh78

Reaction score
Simple enough to just replace the whole ceiling fan but is there an easier fix?

Pull the chain for high goes in one direction. Pull again for medium slowes down and then goes in the other direction.

Does not make any sense to me.

Copacitor? Switch? or replace a 5 year old fan

Any ideas?

Thanks

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Simple enough to just replace the whole ceiling fan but is there an easier fix?

Pull the chain for high goes in one direction. Pull again for medium slowes down and then goes in the other direction.

Does not make any sense to me.

Copacitor? Switch? or replace a 5 year old fan

Any ideas?

Thanks
It kinda sounds like the capacitor. It should be cheap enough to replace, but if the fan itself is a cheapo, then maybe better to replace it. I'm not even sure if (3) speed ceiling fans all use caps or if they use multiple pole configs that the switch changes from one spped to another. I'd go with the cap if you can find one. Do you have an old analog type ohm meter (with a dial and needle)? If you do, the cap can be checked to see if it is completely open (or shorted out) I would think if it failed and caused the motor to reverse itself, it may have lost its capactance (opened). only my .02.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks