How do I find instructions/diagrams on low yield well water storage install

Users who are viewing this thread

Crile478

Reaction score
I have a low yield spring fed well that produces around 200~300 gallons daily, yet with a family of 6 we still run out of water at times even with budgeting. I know that water storage is the way to go and I am experienced in plumbing and electrical. Is there a way to find out what I would need to purchase to install a water storage system and how to do it. I have found rough diagrams as how it should look like. So far the list of equipment I need would be: pumptec
storage tank(s)
some sort of booster pump
float switches for high and low cutoff

The question I have is how do you put it all together? Is there a resource with step by step instructions with photos on how to install this.

I figured I can do this my self for around $1500 dollars or less vs paying a contractor $5-7000 to put in a 1400 gallon water storage system.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Chuck

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Would the large storage tank be gravity fed or pumped in? I fail to see where a booster pump would fit in this scenario. If not gravity fed, then a (submersible?) pump in the well controlled by a float switch and protected by a pumptec*. Another (submersible?) pump in or at the storage tank protected as well with a pumptec* or float switch.

* or Cycle Sensor which has better sensitivity adjustment.
http://www.cyclestopvalves.com/prod_sensor.html

One float switch turns off at high level and the other turns off at low level.

Crile478

Reaction score
I will also need some sort of controller to turn the well pump on which i forgot to mention that I would set depending on the fill rate of the well.
Also, From what I understand I will use the well pump to fill the storage tanks then use a in tank pump to send water to my pressure/bladder tank to send water to the house.

Is there directions out there on how to do it?

Thanks again

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I will also need some sort of controller to turn the well pump on which i forgot to mention...

I did mention it. Use a float switch that turns the pump on in the low position and turns it off in the high position. The pumptec or cycle sensor wired to the pump will protect it should the well be pumped dry.

Is there directions out there on how to do it?
I'm not sure I understand. Do you mean like "connect the red wire to..."? I think it would depend on the brand and model of parts you buy.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
A family of 6 is using more water than the well is making, so how do you plan to fill the tank and keep it full?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I agree 300 gallons a day is not much for 6 people. But with a little conservation you can probably make it work.

Last edited by a moderator:

Crile478

Reaction score
Valveman the first diagram is the direction I want to go. I know how to fit pipes and plumb and wire to the breaker box but most custom plans out there are vague and everyone does something a little different, I am lost there. I just need a pictures and I can make my water storage system look like it.

Craigman, Also there are some days that we do not use all the water in the well so I would like to start banking it in a storage tank for peak days, sometimes we just need an extra 40~50 gallons to get by on somedays. I plan on hooking up (5-7) 200 gallon tanks in tandem in the basement because I can pay to have water hauled in if necessary.

LLigetfa, I do not have any parts yet I am seeking advice on what direction to go but based on valvemans plans he posted.

I need:
200 gallon Storage tanks $223.00 ea http://www.tank-depot.com/productdetails.aspx?part=TC3172IC-2

In so far as the other equipment I am not sure where to look or what I need. In the plan I see a cycle sensor is that what turns the well pump on and off that I have set based on the well refill rate, and I see it twice on the diagram are there two units or one? and what is the relay? and what is the pressure switch?

Thanks again

Last edited by a moderator:

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
How are you going to keep these tanks from sweating in the middle of summer? I have seen similar units in basements and garages & they sweat like crazy, to the point where a dehumidifier won't begin to keep up. Then mildew and mold set in and can become health issues.

How do you plan on keeping the water bacteria free?

Sounds like a new well would solve a lot of potential problems.....

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I plan on hooking up (5-7) 200 gallon tanks in tandem in the basement because I can pay to have water hauled in if necessary.
Most folk bury a single large tank in the yard. Solves the sweating problem.

In the plan I see a cycle sensor is that what turns the well pump on and off that I have set based on the well refill rate, and I see it twice on the diagram are there two units or one? and what is the relay? and what is the pressure switch?
As I already mentioned, the cycle sensor is a superior replacement for the pumptec. The relay can be had from deanbennet.com and I already linked to one that is complete with probes to use in place of a float switch. If you want to use a float switch, http://deanbennett.com/cistern-water-supply-pump-contol.htm is the relay you will need. The pressure switch I image you would already have.

Crile478

Reaction score
I called about a large tank but was concerned when I heard the $5k price tag, I am looking for a lower cost if possible. Also, I am on a hill and my house is situated on bedrock, I was concerned about cost overruns trying to dig a hole to bury a tank in shale or limestone. In my area I am not sure if a new well would fix it, I am in eastern Ohio and actually discovered my well only fills at a rate of 130 gallons per day. Neighbors tried drilling for water and could not find any half a mile away. My basement stays pretty cold all year even in summer would that cut down on condensation. As far as bacteria how do other people use these systems and keep their water bacteria free?

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
You can install an Ultra Violet light that will kill the bacteria as the water passes by the light. The UV system is easy to install and service, but the bulb and quartz tube need to be replaced on a yearly basis in order for the system to be effective.

More maintenance and expense.

130 gallons a day?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I am on a hill and my house is situated on bedrock, I was concerned about cost overruns trying to dig a hole to bury a tank in shale or limestone. In my area I am not sure if a new well would fix it...

Burying does not have to be in a hole. It can also be in a mound.

Describe your well. When you first mentioned spring fed, I pictured a flowing artesian well. Otherwise what's the difference between a regular well and a spring fed well?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artesian_aquifer

Perhaps you could drill deeper and use the bore hole for storage. There are lots of low producers that use that technique. Maybe your well could be frac'd to increase production.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
We have a few old "spring houses" around here. I go by one all the time, all you can see of it is a piece of 1" pvc sticking out of the ground. Amazingly people will go and fill old milk jugs with this water and take it home to drink when the have a perfectly good water well in their yard.

Go figure......

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks