Advice Needed - What would you guys do? (dehumidifier)

Users who are viewing this thread

Jonathan4465

Reaction score
Hey! I bought a dehumidifier that allows a hose to attach to it. Emptying it has become tiresome, so I wanted to hook it right into the homes plumbing. I've attached a picture of the wall in the basement I want to set it up at. I was planning on elevating it, and then hooking up a trap to maybe the white pipe? I should mention that is a grinder pump under that cover, as I am slightly below grade. Any suggestions would be awesome! The rest of the basement is finished so this was the ideal corner to set something up.

IMG_20120917_184944.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
What is that "large white pipe" along the wall? Why is the pump's vent, I assume it is the vent, connected to it with a saddle tee? Why is the pump basin higher than the floor? Maybe lots of questions about an "inferior" installation, but the dehumdifier's drain can go into the pit anywhere, preferably through the opening for the cord, or a hole drilled in the cover, so it is not directly connected to the drain system.

Jonathan4465

Reaction score
What is that "large white pipe" along the wall? Why is the pump's vent, I assume it is the vent, connected to it with a saddle tee? Why is the pump basin higher than the floor? Maybe lots of questions about an "inferior" installation, but the dehumdifier's drain can go into the pit anywhere, preferably through the opening for the cord, or a hole drilled in the cover, so it is not directly connected to the drain system.

Thank you for the reply. The large pipe comes from the 2nd floor bathroom\shower in the master. I can't comment on the vent with the saddle tee, but what I do know is in my development the town is responsible for the grinder pump and install. If it fails I just give them the serial number on the cover and they come out and replace it. They (the town) must have added the saddle tee at some point. The Yellowish pipe is original to the home.

So I can make a hole in the cover and attach the hose from the dehumidifer to it? Don't I need a trap of some sort to prevent gasses from coming back through the pump? Sorry if my questions are silly to a seasoned pro...I'm trying to learn though!

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
Hooking it up to it's own trap would work all summer long...

...but when the lower dew-points of winter arrive the dehumidifier would stay off, and the trap will dry up.

It needs to share a trap with a sink or other active fixture to prevent the trap from drying, or be drained into a slab-sump or something. The condensate is cleaner than greywater, and can be legally/safely disposed of using just about any method.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
No sewer gases will come back through the pump, if the dehumdifier has one. If it is a gravity drain, the trap, a "sag" in the line would sork as one, would only prevent backflow when it was operating, usually in the summertime. Only an inexperienced person would have connected that vent to an "active" drain line, but since it was done with a saddle, that pretty much defined who did it.

Last edited:

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
I've never seen nor heard of a room dehumidifier with a pump, but I s'pose they might exist. Most have a hose-fitting compatible with laundry hookups and garden hoses to be able to have it gravity-drain into a sink or sump.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks