Delay from when pressure switch clicks and pump turns on

Users who are viewing this thread

BillEbob

Reaction score
Have you put an ammeter on the circuit to see what the pump is drawing during that first 30 seconds?

Got a hold of a meter Today. Cut in amperage was 11.7. It seemed to slowly climb to about 12.3 for the 30 seconds and then stayed around 12.0 till cut out.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
http://www.sciencemadesimple.co.uk/page72g.html

this would agree with us simple pump guys.....
You pump guys simply need to stop sucking on straws and scale it up.
http://www.juliantrubin.com/bigten/torricellibarometer.html

btw the vacuum in a barometer is made by outside air pressure, there always is a dead airspace at the top of a mercury barometer.
There is no air at the top of a mercury barometer. It is a vacuum. Air pressure does act upon the mercury by causing it to be higher than it otherwise would be.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
If I remove the checkvalve on top and bottom checkvalves fails, won't that suck the bladder in the tank for another 14.7 psia in the opposite direction?
Sorry, I missed that question. In that case only if the pump didn't start, the pressure would continue to fall as water runs back to the well until the vacuum pulled the bladder down over the opening. That would be like having an extra 15 PSI of precharge on the bladder and I don't think that would be enough to damage it unless it's already on its last leg.

That said however, any vessel designed only for pressure, should not be subjected to a vacuum as it could collapse. It's been known to happen to composite hydro-pneumatic tanks and to water softeners, etc.

BillEbob

Reaction score
Then it is pumping max flow from the very start. How many GPM is the pump?

Not sure. The only thing I can find at the moment is the drilling report.

Attachments

• drilling report.jpg
    drilling report.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 415

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Is there a HP written on the control box? I think with the amps and the HP on a well running pump, a knowledgeable pump/wellman would be able to estimate the GPM rating.

One way to calculate the GPM is if the draincock at the tank is large enough, draw off water at such a rate that the pressure holds steady, neither rising nor falling. Then time how long it takes to fill a 5 gallon bucket and do the math.

I see in the report, the static water level is or at least was at the time 150 feet. The pump is set 20 feet off the bottom at 260 feet giving you 110 feet of reserve. Looks like they rated the well recovery at 10 GPM.

Have you given thought to putting a pressure gauge at the wellhead where the PRV is?

BillEbob

Reaction score
Is there a HP written on the control box? I think with the amps and the HP on a well running pump, a knowledgeable pump/wellman would be able to estimate the GPM rating.

One way to calculate the GPM is if the draincock at the tank is large enough, draw off water at such a rate that the pressure holds steady, neither rising nor falling. Then time how long it takes to fill a 5 gallon bucket and do the math.

I see in the report, the static water level is or at least was at the time 150 feet. The pump is set 20 feet off the bottom at 260 feet giving you 110 feet of reserve. Looks like they rated the well recovery at 10 GPM.

Have you given thought to putting a pressure gauge at the wellhead where the PRV is?

Control box is rated for 1 to 1.5 hp. Nothing noted about actual pump installed.

I will install the additional pressure gauge next. I guess that may tell the story if there is only a check valve at the switch and pump? Any idea of the thread size on the PRV?
WEL-HEAD.jpg

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
no checkvalve, but all this babble on vacuum has no meaning because there may be multiple check valves, holes, leaks, and water standing at 50 feet or less. That skews your physics. Send it to that bald guy on tv that plays with these conundrums.

BillEbob

Reaction score
Found the invoice. pump is a Gould 10GS15, motor 1.5 hp Franklin, only one check valve on the invoice, sch 80 1.25 PVC.

Timing changed a little. Still about 30 seconds from cut-in to increased pressure but an addition 9 seconds from pressure to cut-out (maybe a hole is getting bigger). I still plan on adding the extra pressure gauge and the driller that dug the well has a portable "pul a pump". Quote over the phone was $3000 with new pump.

Attachments

• inv.jpg
    inv.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 417
Last edited by a moderator:

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Well... there's your answer about the thread size of the PRV. You could Tee in a regular hose bib and then use a pressure gauge that screws onto it. You could hold your thumb over it and see if there is a vacuum.

Pretty cheap drilling back then. Wonder what the cost would be today? Here they are demanding $48 per foot. My neighbor had to go down 300 feet and then had to frac it to get enough recovery.

Maybe a couple of strong men could yard that out by hand, given that the downpipe is PVC and if it doesn't hold water, won't weigh nearly as much. Maybe you could even pump air into the pipe and float it part way out.. J/K. Do you have a hole in the roof for the pipe to go through?

BillEbob

Reaction score
Maybe a couple of strong men could yard that out by hand, given that the downpipe is PVC and if it doesn't hold water, won't weigh nearly as much. Maybe you could even pump air into the pipe and float it part way out.. J/K. Do you have a hole in the roof for the pipe to go through?

Pulling it myself has been on my mind for while. I have 2 strong brother in laws and 2 nephew football players that could help me.

I built the well house so it can be removed in sections. The roof will come off in 1 piece. I'll probably need everyone over to lift it off though. I should have put a metal roof on it.

Attachments

• well-house.jpg
    well-house.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 383

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
You can pull that by hand with just one of those guys. Just drill a hole in the roof and patch it later. Or put in a skylite.

BillEbob

Reaction score
LOL... Appreciated all the great renovation ideas!!!!!

Actually I'm having Bee Cave Drilling replace the pump Today. I got a contract on my house and I guess they would rather have a reputable company do the job then me and my lackies.

Thanks for all the great knowledge!!!!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks