How does this shower roughout look?

Users who are viewing this thread

Steveirvine

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm a homeowner who's doing a bath remodel. I know very little about plumbing and wanted to get opinions on the work we've had done so far. Please see the attached picture. I'm concerned about a few things and want to make sure that my concerns are even founded before saying anything:

1. Just to the left of the valve, there are those two "guard plates" (don't know if that's the right term). I think they are there to prevent someone from nailing through the stud into the pex? Well, they obviously look really rusted, especially compared to the others ones. Is that a big deal? Visually, it looks terrible, but don't know if it makes a difference.

2. The other guard plate, on the left side of the picture, is touching the capped pipe. That is for a wall elbow that will eventually be flush against tile, but I was just concerned that the "guard plate" and the pipe metal might be of different metal types and could cause corrosion or some sort of reaction in the future? Seems like it shouldn't have to touch.

3. The white pex in the middle of the picture looks a beaten up and "dirty". The red/blue pex all looks new and nice, but this one looks a little bad. All the pex is the same manufacturer (pex).

Anything else in that picture look not right? Other pex around house that the plumber has run looks pretty neat. I was just concerned that the shower rough out area looked a little sloppy and didn't want problems to show up after the tile is put it!

Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• IMG_3144.jpg
    IMG_3144.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 13,888

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
Very sloppy looking job. The valve body isn't supported very well. Maybe you should chop it with an ax. It looks like it's still growing.

John

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I would NOT have looped the shower line, but rather have run it directly from the valve to the elbow. I would secure the shower valve better. Make sure the blue PEX is not touching the shower valve and secure it so it CANNOT touch it. What is the red PEX in the middle on the right side which looks like it changes to blue after the elbow? It looks like he took advantage of the flexibility of PEX.

Steveirvine

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies John and HJ.

I would NOT have looped the shower line, but rather have run it directly from the valve to the elbow. I would secure the shower valve better. Make sure the blue PEX is not touching the shower valve and secure it so it CANNOT touch it. What is the red PEX in the middle on the right side which looks like it changes to blue after the elbow? It looks like he took advantage of the flexibility of PEX.

Ok, so it sounds like he should definitely secured the valve shower better. He actually had it braced before but removed the brace to move the valve. I'll make sure he does that!

As far as looping, I probably should explain since I'm not sure it's clear in the picture. The top of the valve is connected to the elbow, so it sounds like you are saying he should have come out of the top of the valve and gone directly across and then used a 90 deg elbow to go down to the wall elbow right (instead of looping down and coming around). How hard should I push the looping? It sounds like you consider it more than just an aesthetic issue?

I'll check the red-PEX-changing-to-blue and make sure the blue PEX is not touching the valve.

Thanks for the help!

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
What HJ said and it looks like a most unprofessional job at that. Besides that, the expando foam can not be in contact with the PEX as the chemicals will degrade it over time unless it is fire stop and specifically formulated for contact with plastics.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Forgive me for being blunt, but this looks like a handyman's work not a plumber job. I'm just a DIY but I'd have done the job in copper and it would look a heck of a lot better. Please tell us that this was done for cheap by a handyman and not a real plumber.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Anybody working for me that did that would be looking for a job within seconds.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; Anybody working for me that did that would be looking for a job within seconds

I thought the reason "plumbers" were using PEX was so they COULD install it like that.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
From the quality of a lot of work I've seen lately I wouldn't argue you that. LOL We've become electricians

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
What ever you do with that stuff you can't make it look as good as copper. But you can make some kind of attempt to make it look have way descent. Take some pride in your work it will make you feel better plus make you look a little more professorial.

John

Bluebinky

Reaction score
Besides that, the expando foam can not be in contact with the PEX as the chemicals will degrade it over time unless it is fire stop and specifically formulated for contact with plastics.

Thanks for that tidbit Tom. Hadn't thought of that. I guess it's more proof of my saying "the problem with DIY is that you don't know what you don't know".

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks