1-1/2" vs 2" for bar sink?

Users who are viewing this thread

MajMetro

Reaction score
I'm helping a friend with his DWV layout.

rods_dwv1.jpg

Looking for a Pro's view on whether we could use 1-1/2" vs 2" on the run from the 10"x12" (no disposal) bar (prep) sink to the 2" kitchen sink line.

Note, we have to transition five (5) 2x10 floor joists to access the 2" run. Technically 1-1/2" will work, just wondering what everyone's experience has shown.

Thanks,

Mario

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Where are the traps? Every sink needs a p trap and vent. I see the AAV for the bar sink, and that may be OK, but the kitchen sink with the DW and disposal must have a trap and there must be a vent.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
HE is NOT revising the sink and disposer so that is immaterial to the discussion. 1 1 /2" is "technically" okay, but functionally, 2" will perform better over the long run. And you will appreciate the difference when it plugs up and you have to snake it. This will occur much sooner with 1 1/2" than 2", also.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Like hj mentions. for a bar sink, 1.5" passes code, but it's also half the volume of a 2.0 pipe. Cost is almost the same for both pipes.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks