Help identifying Moen shower trim kit

Users who are viewing this thread

leubanks83

Reaction score
I have a home that was built in 1984, and now I cannot find the brand to the shower to replace the trim kit. I got an estimate on replacing the shower valve, but that was way too expensive. I have to believe I can find a trim kit that matches this one. Any help? Or does anyone know where I can research to find this?

Attachments

• 20120728_105953.jpg
    20120728_105953.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 19,812
  • 20120727_191113.jpg
    20120727_191113.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 9,534
  • 20120728_105953.jpg
    20120728_105953.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 6,958
  • 20120728_110005.jpg
    20120728_110005.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 7,186

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You have the older Moen Chateau shower trim. All hardware stores carry this trim.

moen-2600-1.jpg

This Moen is from 1978

moen-1200-1225.jpg

The cartridge on the left is a 1200 which is still a good replacement. I normally use the 1225 on the right.

moen-tl473-1.jpg

They make a T473 trim with a crystal handle or the TL473 with the lever handle.

Last edited:

leubanks83

Reaction score
I thought it was a Moen, but Home Depot's Moen trim kits didn't have the screw holes in the right place. None of them lined up. Neither did Lowes. Are there any good online retailers to look for this? Thank you so much for your help!

You have the older Moen Chateau shower trim. All hardware stores carry this trim.

Chad Schloss

Reaction score
This should be it at Home Depot

Model # 9D00010001

Internet # 202562814

Store SKU # 464830

DANCO Trim Kit for Moen Tub/Shower Faucets

here's one from homedepot that is labeled chateau:

MOEN Chateau Single Handle Trim Kit for Posi-Temp Shower in Chrome

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
There are 4 basic Moen valve/trims : Chateau teardrop shape handle, flat plate ( this is yours ); Legend round handle, bowl plate; Moentro, teardrop handle, bowl plate, screw holes different; Positemp..larger teardrop handle, plate similar to Moentrol, but handle and stop tube diameter larger.

You should stop doing business with any store which cannot supply all four of these VERY common parts.

leubanks83

Reaction score
Thanks, I'll see if I can find those. I was really hoping to find an oil rubbed-bronze trim kit.

All the ones labeled "Moen Chateau" seem to be Chrome or Brushed Nickel. All of the Moen oil rubbed bronze trim kits seem to be labeled Kingsley and Brantford. Is there some master catalog where I could find an ORB Moen Chateau trim kit? I've been scouring web sites for hours, but none of the ORB ones have the Chateau listed, so I'm worried I'll order something that won't work.

Thank you guys for the help.

This should be it at Home Depot

Model # 9D00010001

Internet # 202562814

Store SKU # 464830

DANCO Trim Kit for Moen Tub/Shower Faucets

MOEN Chateau Single Handle Trim Kit for Posi-Temp Shower in Chrome

Internet # 202506437

Store SO SKU# 477898

leubanks83

Reaction score
Also, how can I tell whether Chateau trim kits will fit mine since apparently mine is push-pull? Most of these don't say! I wish I knew more about this stuff!

Chad Schloss

Reaction score
http://www.moen.com/consumer-support/faq

you have a standard, non pressure balanced valve.

A recent innovation now makes it possible to retrofit Moentrol trim to standard valves. Service kit number 145058 (shown below) can be ordered to make the change. (from the above page)

edited: you have the standard valve, not the posi-temp one i thought it was.

Last edited:

leubanks83

Reaction score
How did I not find this on their web site? Thank you so much.

http://www.moen.com/consumer-support/faq

you have a posi-temp (standard, non pressure balanced )valve. look for trim that fits the posi-temp valve, not the moentrol valve.

OR:

A recent innovation now makes it possible to retrofit Moentrol trim to standard valves. Service kit number 145058 (shown below) can be ordered to make the change. (from the above page)

Chad Schloss

Reaction score
it says it fits moentrol valves. i would look for whatever you want that fits a moentrol valve & then get just the trim and get that adaptor plate. i've never used it. i'm just a diy'er, maybe the plumbers will respond to this in a bit.

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
When you want to replace trim for a valve which has been out of production for probably 10 years, your trim options become very limited. Chrome is in. Maybe some brushed nickel, the second most asked for trim finish. Any of the bronzes.....good luck, but Danco or one of the other aftermarkets may even have that one.

You will likely NOT be able to use a bowl-shaped Moentrol trim. Your valve is too close to the finished wall surface. But worth a try.

moen-legend-trim.jpg

leubanks83

Reaction score
Thank you everyone for the words of wisdom. I'm new to this DIY lifestyle. This is my first home, so I know I have a lot to learn.

I ordered the service kit and the Kingsley Moentrol trim kit.

One follow-up question:

There is some gray plastic on top of the valve. I assume that was to make it flush with the finished shower. Do I need to remove that gray plastic before attaching the service kit adapter to the valve? Or does the adapter go on top of the gray plastic?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The gray plastic is there to prevent the tile guy from going right up to the valve. It can be thrown away. It serves no purpose now.

Hackneyplumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
The gray plastic is there to prevent the tile guy from going right up to the valve. It can be thrown away. It serves no purpose now.

Its also a thin wall mounting bracket/support. It stays on the valve and supports the fiberglass from behind. Sounds crappy.....yep I agree. LOL

Reaction score

moen-2600-1.jpg

This Moen is from 1978

moen-1200-1225.jpg

The cartridge on the left is a 1200 which is still a good replacement. I normally use the 1225 on the right.

moen-tl473-1.jpg

They make a T473 trim with a crystal handle or the TL473 with the lever handle.
I'm in this sane situation today. After much research, I come to understand I have Standard Moen valves (1986). So I need to install a Moen 145058 adaptor. Great. Now a need a trim kit to switch from antique brass to chrome. My kitchen designer sold me a T181...which is a Positemp trim. I was going to return it but does it make a difference? Doesn't a Standard Valve + Moen T145058 support ANY 7 in trim? Moen is trying to force me to three Moentrol trims which are totally no to our liking.

This reply seems to imply any trim will work in my case. Thoughts?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks