Dumb me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have a zone with Rainbird 1800 pop ups. Recently I noticed the lawn on the lower end was like a swamp. I realized I had a leak. No, that's not the dumb part. I figured out that the leak was coming from around an 1800 on the upper end of the lawn. So, here it comes, I got my shovel and a towel and dug it out. Had to wait for my wife to come home from a short trip before I could turn the zone on and see where the water was coming from as when I tried it alone, by the time I got from my controller to the trouble spot, the hole was filled with water. So, I took the 1800 off and capped the line. Then watched as the wife turned the water on. Guess what! No leak. So now I begin to smarten up. I inspected the 1800 and found the cap was just barely hanging on. Water obviously had been leaking from there and not a broken pipe. Replaced the head with the cap securely tightened and sure enough, no leak. I did end up with a new head because the original was very old and was not sealing around the pop up too well. Sure could have saved some digging in 100 degree heat if I had checked the cap first! Morale of the story? Test don't guess.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks