New floor drain - vent questions

Users who are viewing this thread

MF41

Reaction score
Hi all,

I would like to add a 6" floor drain with a 2" fitting to an existing cement floor in a small (15'x30') 2 story workshop building.

I have a 3" main line running close by (about 12" but could be more or less if needed) to the location of the new drain. How can I vent this drain "easily" I believe I do need to vent? I'm also not sure how deep line is buried below the floor.

The only thing upstream from this is a toilet (which looks to be on a sanitary tee and the vent line continues up.) The only thing downstream is a double laundry tub that is vented to up above the toilets location.

Can anyone give any pointers?

Thank you in advance.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If I were to install a floor drain on a 3" line, it would need a 2" p-trap and have a vent before it entered the 3x2 wye. For sure if a toilet is on the line it will need the vent.

MF41

Reaction score
If I were to install a floor drain on a 3" line, it would need a 2" p-trap and have a vent before it entered the 3x2 wye. For sure if a toilet is on the line it will need the vent.

Can I tap into the existing vent line for the sink or will I have to run a new vent line and connect it above the level of the toilet?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A new vent is installed and can be revented above the toilet. We normally figure on 42" above the floor. That puts it 6" above a counter top, which would be the normal flood level.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks