Gas water heater not hot enough after new tub faucet RI

Users who are viewing this thread

Jen C

Reaction score
Hello Everyone! I had an old gas water heater (I think about 20 years old!) so I had it replaced with a new gas water heater about 6 months ago. Last week the pilot light went out and I couldn't get it to restart. So I called the gas company and they came out and restarted it. He said he doesn't know what caused it to go out, it is the new kind of water heater that will go out if air flow is blocked (he said that wasn't the problem) or if there is some other problem. So he couldn't find anything wrong and left. After that the water was still cold so I set the temperature to as high as it could go (3 notches higher than I used to set it). Now if I run the hot water for a while (no cold at all) I can take a warm shower, but not as hot as it used to get and i'm not even using any cold! So I called again and the gas guy came back and used his thermometer and said the water is consistently at like 105 degrees (and did get up to 117) so there isn't any problem.

But I think there is a problem because the water heater isn't behaving the way it did a week ago before the pilot light went out for no reason. I feel like a normal shower is not having the hot tap on all way with zero cold. My husband thinks i'm crazy and that there isn't a problem, but I think there is. I feel the water is not getting hot enough, and I read online that in the dishwasher you want around 125 degrees to kill germs.

Am I wrong? And thank you all for any help with this, I am so frustrated by it and I keep getting charged to have the gas guy come and tell me nothing is wrong.

jen

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Are you sure you turned the temp up and not down ?

Maybe your husband is correct.

Most dishwashers have water heaters built in.

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
Please post the brand name, model number, and s/n and any pictures showing the bottom of heater with gas valve, and the top of the heater with the plumbing connections,
then i can answer your questions better, and no not all dishwashers have built in heaters

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
IF the thermostat is turned UP and burner is operating, the water WILL get hot, unless something, such as a cracked pipe, is draining the water as fast as the heater can make it. Does the heater EVER turn off?

Jen C

Reaction score
top.jpgbottom.jpgcontrols.jpgside.jpg

Hello and thanks for the replies!

Yes, the thermostat is set to "very hot" (see picture).

The hot water heater is turning off, so it isn't running all the time.

The brand is AO SMITH
The model number is GCV40300
Serial number is 1143A006151

I took a bunch of pictures. I do have a contractor working on my bathroom. My husband talked to him today and he said he did turn off the hot water when he was taking out the tub and then turned it back on. Would that have caused the pilot light to go out and all this to happen? Or if it is leaking in the wall would it cause it to not get super hot? The gas guy said I probably have something in the wall that regulates the temperature so if I try to turn on super hot water it adds cold into it? It didn't use to do that, it would hurt if I had the water too hot.

ps - that side picture is the knob that the contractor turned off and then back on. I still don't think that would have caused the pilot light to go out, but I really don't know?

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
If he turned it to off and not to pilot that would shutdown the pilot light.

John

Jen C

Reaction score
hmmm, he turned off the water valve (I don't know if it was the one going into the water heater or the one going out). I guess if you turn off the water supply you should turn off the pilot light first?

I'm sorry, obviously I don't know a thing about plumbing. It just seems odd to me that last week it worked fine, the pilot light went out, and now all my hot (not really that hot) water works differently.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Do you get good hot water from the sinks but not the shower? If that is the case, the problem is the shower valve.

Jen C

Reaction score
Hi cacher_chick - nope it is all the sinks in the house, bathroom and kitchen.

DonL

Reaction score
Gas Valve limit setting

Hi cacher_chick - nope it is all the sinks in the house, bathroom and kitchen.

I think I would try to set the Water temperature back to normal "Hot" and test it there.

It may have a stupid sensor if you turn the Gas valve all the way up.

Jen C

Reaction score
hmmm, maybe. I'll put it back to where it used to be when I get home (I was either A or B before) and see what happens. I have never turned it up this high before.

DonL

Reaction score
hmmm, maybe. I'll put it back to where it used to be when I get home (I was either A or B before) and see what happens. I have never turned it up this high before.

I would try that.

Try it on A or just a little above normal, If that works then go to B.

I looked up that model and the gas valve may not go as high as you have it set, and the heater may be shutting down on thermal limit.

The LED should tell you what it is doing.

Have a great 4th of July.

Jen C

Reaction score
Thanks! I will definitely give it a try tonight. The LED blinking light says normal operation, so hopefully that is the problem and I just set it too high. I am imagining a broken pipe in the wall leaking out all my hot water (can't even imagine how much that would cost to fix)!

Happy 4th of July to you, too! :)

Jen C

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, just wanted to send an update. It turns out that my contractor did not put a filter? on when he changed out my bath tub faucet and apparently that was affecting the whole house. Since he put that filter on and put the faucet together my water has been hot enough. I turned the hot water heater down from scorching and it has been fine.

Thank you all for your input! :)

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There's not normally crud in the water on a regular basis where (at least with a public water supply) you should need a particulate filter. Whenever you turn the water off and then on again after draining it down, that initial rush of water can dislodge a lot of accumulated crud inside the pipes. That can block in-line filters, aerators on faucets, and potentially other valves. But, once that's been cleaned out, a filter should not be necessary. But, if it's working, I guess leave well enough alone...

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Apparently, the contractor installed a Delta universal shower valve without installing the bypass plug OR the cartridge. IF you had all those people checking things and NONE of them could figure that out, you have some very poor, actually mediocre, service people.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks